Recommend upgrade for NAD C541

I currently have a system as follows:

NAD C541 CD Player
NAD C370 Integrated Amplifier
B&W DM602S3 Speakers
QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire with Airloc bananas
van den Hul D102HB III interconnects

I think I've got the setup right in my room, but I feel the sound could be more open, full, and exciting. Thus, I'm thinking of an upgrade of sorts. I had previously posted on Audiogon about upgrading the speakers, but was told the CD Player was the weakest link.

Could anyone please recommend a suitable upgrade for the C541 for what I'm looking for? Perhaps the Arcam CD72, Musical Fidelity A3CD or other unit?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
lennychen

Showing 1 response by mghcanuck

Hi Lennychen:

Not sure if you have the most recent 541i, which I just inserted into my system a few weeks ago. Anyway, I am running a NAD C370 and the NAD C270 in bi-amp configuration with the C370 driving the highs and mids and the C270 driving the lows in a pair of KEF Q5's. Interconnects are the same as you. I've been very pleased to date.

Unless you're willing to spend more on a separate pre and amp, the C370 is a great bang for the buck. Adding the C270 in order to bi-amp allows for greater detail, dynamics and richness in the sound.

The Q5's have great tonal balance, BIG sweet spot (meaning placement is less critical), wonderful detail and are musical.

For what it's worth, the NAD 541i was chosen as a Product of the Year by What Hi-Fi? magazine last November and beat six other players in a comparison by the same magazine. The reviewers preferred it overall to players from Arcam (the CD62T), Rotel (RCD02), Roksan (Kandy CD1), Exposure (2010), a Sony and a Marantz. Having read the review/comparison, I listened to the 541i and was impressed.

My advice, if you have the 541i, or the previous 541 with a 24/96 DAC chip, add the C270 and/or think about changing speakers.

All the best!