Recommend CD Player with Volume Control

I have Magneplanar 3.6Rs and Classe CAM-350 monoblocks and am looking to add a CD player. Since this will be my only source, I am looking for a CD player that has volume control/variable output and I will bypass the preamp. 24 bit, HDCD, and upgradability are definite advantages. Any suggestions in the $2000 price range (new or used)?
ccandte
The Resolution Audio CD50 is the best in the market anywhere near your $2000 price.
What specifically did you not like about the CD50, Ryan? "Just didn't like it" just doesn't cut it. I just don't like a lot of things, but I need to be more specific, or else saying it has no relevance. Perhaps you didn't like that it showed that your CD-R copies didn't sound better than the originals afterall?
Is it just my observation that Carl gets upset everytime someone doesnt agree w him about the CD50? I have a Wadia 850 and love it, but I know not everyone does/will so if there is a comment/review not favorable 2 it I dont get bent out of shape and defend it like its my wife. I have never heard the CD50 but I wouldnt doute its a great player based on the reviews I've read, but theres nothing out there that everyone will think is the BEST. Different strokes 4 different folks.
Thanks Dj, You hit the bullseye regarding Carl... BTW I also own an 850 and love it. I assume you have heard the fate of Wadia...not the news I was looking for.