Recommend a TT/Tonearm combo under $2000?

I've decided it's time for a hi end analog playback system. I'm starting off with the turntable/tonearm combo. Right now I'm using a typical receive with phono stage built in, so I plan to use my Sure V15xMR. I'm looking for a turntable/tonearm combo under $2000. I'll also entertain cartridge reommendations as well. My current vinyl playback device is a Yamaha PX-2 linear track, which works well and sounds nice, but i realize that most linear tracking turntables do not reproduce sound as accurately as it should due to the tone arm having to constantly compensate for tracking errors. I've looked at some offerings from Rega, VPI, Sumiko, Goldring, Sota, Linn, and Thorens; but the number of turntables in my price range is overwhelming.

My main musical interest is rock and classic rock. Most of my vinyl is either original 60's-80's and some 180gram reissues.

Steve Bennett
arnold_layne

Showing 1 response by dan_ed

I'm probably going to cloud the waters for you but here goes. Watch for a Basis 1400 series table with a modified Rega tonearm to come by on the used market. This is a very good combo and will rock! You will be well within your budget. Much better speed stability than the Rega tables. I would suggest the VPI, Sota and the Basis lines. I'm pretty sure you'd be very happy with any of these. One thing to also consider is if you need suspension or not.

Best of luck in your search,

Dan