Recomendation on turntable for less than $1500

Well, after 44 years I'm ready to replace my Thorens TD 150. I haven't paid too much attention to equipment lately, but the new Thorens seem to be a different beast.

TTs that caught my eye are:
- VPI Traveler with the Grado cart.
- Clear Audio with the MM option
- One of the Regas, perhaps P3 for a bit less money

I'd appreciate any info from folks who have owned these models or other options in my price range. Thanks

Ric
ricardo

Showing 2 responses by kiko65

Rega RP6
VPI Traveler
Clearaudio Concept
Sota Satellite (w/out arm)
Funk Firm Flamenca
Pro-ject 2 Xperience
All in your price range of $1,500.00

The best bang for the buck would have to be the Marantz Reference Series TT-15S1 (Basically a Clearaudio built to Marantz specs)
•includes moving magnet cartridge with ebony base
•non-servo AC motor with endless silicone belt drive
•high-density acrylic chassis and platter
•straight aluminum tone arm
•three solid adjustable aluminum support feet
•"Clever Clamp" by Souther Engineering

The guys at Crutchfield are selling this wonderful TT for $1499.99 including free shipping and lifetime tech support.

Acoustic Signature WOW for a little more ($1,995.00) may be last turntable you'll ever buy.

Good luck and happy listening!
Same here Raymonda, never listened to the Thorens TD 150 so I cannot comment on its sound qualities. Seems to have been well engineered and very similar to the Sondek LP12 in appearance.

I'm curious as to which four? I'm guessing RP6, Traveler, Concept, and Xperience?

A friend of mine has the new Satellite and it sounds MUCH better than the entry level Comet and it can hold its ground against much more expensive TTs.

Marantz has a quiet, steady, reliable motor, a more than decent tonearm, and KILLER cart for the money.

The WOW is in another league, comparable to TTs costing much more and almost as good as Well Tempered Amadeus and Townshend Rock 7. Dead quiet, rock solid.

Upgrading the tonearm and armboard and adding the MH CC2 sounds like the right way to go if you decide to keep the Thorens.

"purchasing many of them may well be a down grade". Not sure if I completely agree with your comment. As good as the Thorens may have been 44 years ago, new advance in technology may (or may not) place some of the models mentioned over the Thorens.

Maybe you're right, who knows :-)