Recapping your amp

I was wondering how you would know its time for a recap on your amp. Even when it sounds fine and the caps are not bulging or leaking. 
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman
Let's assume;

You have a family car with timing belt, that according to the owners manual is supposed to be changed every 7 years or 100,000 miles.

Your car is 6 years 10 months old and has 70,000 miles. It was not a taxi, was cared for, and was not abused.

Timing belts give no warning signs before they go.

Are you going to get the timing belt changed in two months ?    

Hard to describe but if you hear a sound just like tiny/tight fart when you turn the amplifier off, that's usually a good indication that a recap might be required. My real old Adcom 545 did that and my 555 has started doing too. From the sound quality perspective, both amplifiers have much softer bass now as compared to when they were new which makes the overall sound rather flat and lifeless. Both have been used (actually abused) on a daily basis since1987 by me and friends who (still) borrow the 555 for parties.

A timing belt won’t degrade your engine’s performance, before it fails(completely). The point of my references was, that(electrolytic) capacitors do. Of course: to many, "...still working...", is good enough. Do you replace your racing tires, AFTER they blow out, or- as soon as they begin to lose traction?  One's course of action, will depend on how much they value performance(different strokes...).