Recapping Krell KSA 250

I have received a quote of $1500 for recapping. The amps have been in storage for 10 years and were bought new by me in 1992. I talked to an EE who said that was a bit excessive for replacing capacitors. I know the standard answer is that it's a Krell amp and needs special attention. I would like to sell these amps but there are some financial constraints.If I turned on these amps to see if they still work without having a recap, what is the risk to the amp.  As the  amps are heavy and expensive to ship, I am wondering if there is anyone in the southeast near Alabama who might be able to do the work?
frenetical

Showing 1 response by oldhvymec

I'd be real careful with the Variac on a SS. Someone else can chime in, BUT most SS stuff is a little picky about low voltage. 

I've had KSA 100 MK2 and KSA 250, both were wonderful, units.
Both were recapped at about the 25-30 year mark.

The guy was in Sacramento CA. He charged me 500.00 labor per Krell
Including a 5.1 HT unit. The bill was 1300.00 with parts for a pair. 725.00 with parts on the 5.1 HT preamp/dac. (all class A, on the pre too.)

Still have the Preamp, sold the Krell amps years back. They will heat up a room, no problem..100, or the 250s, but all 4 was like an inferno in the summer...HOT!  Worse than  most of the valve units I owned.

Sure sounded good though, some of the best sounding SS I ever owned. They would best any of the class ds I own now. But the heat..

Regards