Rebuilding Power Amplifier(s)

I have a couple of Metaxas Solitaire power amplifiers.
One amp is operating on both channels and the other has only one channel working.
They have been inspected by a repairer , who has refused to conduct any repairs as repair work has previously been conducted to a poor quality.
So I have now retrieved them and propose to refurbish myself.
- Its either that or just dispose of them.
My plan is to replace every discrete component  to original spec or better .
Now I have no experience of such work , but I can't see any great skill needed for such work.
Have I under estimated , not the quantity of work as I have plenty of time , but the complexity for a novice.
I'm interested in comments.
bobby1945
Without a schematic and test equipment you will have quite the challenge. Just like repairing a car, success depends on identifying the problem -- not throwing parts at it. In both cases you need diagnostic equipment to identify the problem and the skill set to know what to look for and interpret the results. 

You may succeed, don't get me wrong, but you have to identify everything you replace and make sure direct substitution is given priority over "better quality".  To avoid complicating things for you, practice desoldering on old pcb's until you get the pads clean as a whistle without damage. 

Work slow, work deliberately. Plan ahead what should be removed first and take plenty of pictures of the board for assembly reference before you remove anything. Check and double check everything before you put the leads through the holes and check and triple check all diode and transistor orientations before soldering.
Those amps were rather expensive new! I would just replace the faulty parts in the damaged one - using the working circuit in the good one as a reference! No need to strip everything down to the bare circuit boards! Just the faulty parts!
Depending upon the parts you should consider replacing the parts in both amps.

Pay close attention to the last paragraph of gs's post! In fact the whole post offers some really good advice.
The best pointers I can give is to measure the components on the board
and know the measurements of the new upgrade components .
And don't change any values . .