Rebuild a Counterpoint SA-100 or start over?

I have a Counterpoint SA-100 hybrid amp that's about 13 years old. Recently I had to press it into service on a backup system. The amp is running noisy (hissing and hash). I changed the tubes, but the problem is still there. Maybe it has to do with the mosfet outputs. Anyway, I could send the amp to Alta Vista Audio and have the thing rebuilt for about $1,000. The guy that runs Alta Vista also ran Counterpoint before its demise. Philisophically, I do have a bit of a problem sending the amp for a rebuilt when the guy didn't do such a great job in the first place. The alternative is to just buy a new amp. It would drive a pair of Quad 22Ls. Any suggestions?
fxhanson

Showing 1 response by marakanetz

I'm with Elizabeth. A kilobuck is too much to rebuild your amp. You can buy McCormack DNA1 right now hear on audiogon fur much less and will probably be happy or even happier than with Counterpoint.
The MOSFET outputs in Counterpoint either work or don't so more-likely you're in OK shape on that issue. Replacing electrolytic capacitors and protection relays will probably eliminate problem.