Reasonably Priced Fuse Upgrade for Magnepan 3.7?

Hey everyone,

I recently acquired some Magnepan 3.7 speakers and wanted to start tweaking them, so I ordered some Mundorf M-Resist Supreme 1.0 ohm Resistors for $23 each, but I can't seem to find any hifi fuses that are reasonable priced.  Seems like hifi fuses start around $100 each, I need 4 fuses, and I don't want to spend $400 on a whim.  Can anyone recommend some fuse upgrades that are reasonably priced, maybe around $20 each?

Looks like I need two 2.5A fuses and two 5A fuses, large size.  I'd prefer not to bypass the fuses, so let's not get into that debate here... =)

Thanks!
Chris
128x128cjwessing

Showing 3 responses by rodman99999

You might find something applicable here: http://www.partsconnexion.com/fuse_hifituning_gold_main.html  For the money, you might try the 2A value on the tweeters, just to see if there's a discernible difference. 
@cjwessing - I’ve always wondered about fancy fuses in speakers, though I’ve been using them in all my other components, for years(my Maggies always get bypassed). Please, come back and tell us how those worked out for you(any audible differences).
@georgehifi - " Better still, put some copper wire in place of your fuse and don’t overdrive your speaker, many speakers (even planers and ESL’s) don’t have fuses." Better yet(what I’ve always done with Maggies, while installing WBT 5 ways), unscrew the Magnepan input plate and just bypass all the fuse holders and jumper screw terminals. A simple procedure, that eliminates all the steel and crappy conductors/connections, in the signal path. Of course then, clean/adequate power and judicious volume control use, become hard and fast rules(as you mentioned).