Real Music vs Audiophile Mumbo Jumbo

Lets talk about music when we hear hear it played live in contrast to our home systems. I have been going out lately seeing rock concerts but none the less, it really makes me think about listening at home vs what i hear when i go out. I read with the respect the vinyl supporters and how the digital sound will never touch the warmth and other special qualities of vinyl. Well, when you go out and hear live music and close your eyes, believe me, it does not sound like a vinyl rig. In my opinion, the sound has an in your face kick that is more like solid state systems. You can hear the bass lines and the pounding of the drums and the fire of the guitars. There is no tube glow and and warmth to it. It is alive and much different.
pettyfeversk
The version of "live" you describe is not live, but rather live played through a PA system.
believe me, it does not sound like a vinyl rig. In my opinion, the sound has an in your face kick that is more like solid state systems.

Yep, that system you describe is very likely solid state and even more likely driving huge horn loaded sound reinforcement speakers that don't do deep bass or extreme highs but will easily push 125 DB plus.

What I want is the sound of a live musician in the studio, or at least the sound from the microphone feed. That's difficult even with the best software.

As for reproducing "concert sound" It's reactively easy to get there. You can buy sound reinforcement gear at Guitar Center and blow your whole house away for much less than the nice gear I just viewed in you system thread.
Personally, I've always felt that asking "does it sound like a live performance" is the wrong question, for several reasons, not least of which is that I don't think it is possible. There is something about the sophistication of our hearing and the brain as a processing center that makes it extraordinarily hard to "fake" a live performance. I can only remember being fooled once, in 1978 -- I was walking past a stereo store in East Lansing, Michigan, that had its front doors open, and I heard what sounded like live Jazz music coming from inside. I thought it was some sort of publicity stunt, and stuck my head in to look -- they were playing Klipschorns at near "live" levels using Luxman electronics. Until I wlaked into the store, I would have sworn I was listening to a live jazz band (that's when I started to appreciate Paul Klipsch's emphasis on dynamics and speaker efficiency as a key to music reproduction).

So I tend to accept each for what it is -- I enjoy both live performances and recorded music, and appreciate each for its own virtues. And my standard for judging my stereo gear is not whether it makes the performance sound "live", but whether it captures and holds my attention and "involves" me with the music.
a rock concert is never going to sound like a digital or vinyl rig, either driven by sand or valve. at best a rock concert is going to sound like the sound reinforcement system at the venue, and for what its worth most of these are driven by solid state gear. not much use to compare to our home stereos unless our home stereo is comprised of pa gear.

an unamplified concert is a more worthwhile comparison to our home stereo's.

as far as the audiophile mumbo jumbo, it helps advertiser's market product...and maybe also helpful when we try and describe what we are hearing to someone else, or sell our old gear online.
I wear earplugs when attending rock concerts, especially indoor concerts. My preference is to get as close to the stage as possible and soak up the experience. The sound quality is very low on my priority list.
Post removed