ready to drop the hammer an a new hk avr235

i'm about to buy a new or used avr. budget $500. nht's in the front. i like the hk avr235 so far. my question is can i use 2 of the 7 channels to add to the fronts somehow. this thing is only 50 wpc rms. would it be out of the question to mono 2 ch per side, hook this to the highs and use a seperate amp for the lows (100 watt carver tfm15). this would give me a treamounds amount of power, and i would be done, not looking around for a 5 ch amp. the other channels would be fine at 50 watts. 2 ch is most inportant to me. anyone who has tried this please let me know how it went. thanks in advance.
gmarcotte8f97

Showing 1 response by avguygeorge

If the receiver has pre-out for the fronts; an outboard amp is fine for the fronts , many folks do this. I know of no way to alocate 2 of the other channels on this receiver to run as a biamp configuration. Many of the high-end receivers can do this; I doubt your model can. ---Not to worry; a better 2ch amp (if you have pre-outs) will make a good difference.---Make sure your front speakers can handle it.---And, do we have a sub??