Ready For Digital Source...Computer?

I have speakers and amplification all figured out, now I need a source. No vinyl and not concerned with CD's at this point.
Only steaming online. No Roon either, been there, done that. 

Honestly, (because I need a new computer anyway) I would really like to use a computer to play Spotify (hopefully CD-quality soon), Tidal, Qobuz, etc. but most say a computer is too "Noisy" to use for this purpose. Although, I have heard there are ways around this.

Rather than having to purchase a dedicated music server, does anyone know how to set up a computer as a high-quality music server? I can't really seem to find anything online.

Thanks

high-amp

I actually did recommend the DAC that sns did. I mentioned the LKS MH-DA005. Musetec is the company that makes this dac, so he just says "Musetec 005" instead. It’s the same exact dac. Yeah, it’s expensive at $3300, but I think this shoots higher than other $3300 dacs. It’s also available in silver (hint, hint, lol).

I have the previous version MH-DA004, which retails for $1600. I chose the 004 because if I were to design a DAC, they do almost everything exactly as I would. That being said, the parts chosen in the stock 004 were not the best choice and, as a result, the stock 004 had a harsh bright forward type of sound. I have massievly rebuilt this DAC and it’s extremely excellent now. There is a 290 page thread on this 004 DAC over at head-fi.org full of engineers like me who have done significant mods to the 004.

The 005 is a much needed upgrade and design change. He focuses on supercapacitors for all the power supplies for digital sections (which are almost like batteries). Dual ESS9038PRO dacs with fully discrete Class A I/V output stage. Better 100MHz clock for the ESS chip. You can read the two threads about this 005 dac on this forum:

MH-DA005

holo may vs musetec 005

I looked at the Border Patrol. It’s a radically different design and I’m not familiar with this type of architecture. It uses a old school 16-bit R2R chip dac. Based on youtube videos, it sounds very analog and very smooth/clean. Apparently, you can play 24 bit music files through, but they are going to be down-converted to 16-bit because the R2R dac chip can only do 16-bit. I listened to the Guttenberg video and one thing he said was other dacs, such as Denafrips, will be higher resolution. The one thing that sticks out on the Border Patrol is that is sounds so organic.

In the end it really depends on what kind of sound you’re after. Guttenberg said the Border Patrol are kind of for people who are "music first" for music that sound rich and organic, but the Border Patrol is not as high resolution and transparent and revealing of details as the other dacs in this list. It really depends. It’s not a tube sounding dac, but it carries that type of mentality.

Many good DACs to choose from. I am in the same position and research and recommendations lead me to discover the Merason brand which I had not heard nor heard of. They have two DACs which are getting great reviews.

The newer (I think) Frerot is trickle-down tech. from the bigger brother at somewhere around $1000.  Perhaps consider this as it has an additional separate power supply that can be bought with or at a later stage which apparently lifts the performance further.

A friend of mine often asks me for advice and eventually bought  one without the extra PSU.  Unfortunately as he moved to a different country I can't hear it but I do know his taste. He has not stopped phoning me with nothing but praise and how much more he enjoys his system now. This encourages me to consider it's more expensive bigger brother.

auxinput - sorry for not responding sooner, I'm up in the flood zone here and it's been a heck of a week for us all! Thanks for all the research. I will see if I can save up a bit for the LKS MH-DA005 DAC.

lemonhaze - Yes, thanks. I had never heard of the Merason Frerot DAC as well until this video dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmAWN3faaM8

Well Pleased Audio, the dealer for the DAC, uses it exclusively in their pre-assembled systems that they sell.

auxinput - any thoughts on this one?