RE: Better...Classe CA-2200 or Levinson 333-5-6?

For the last two years, I've had a used ML333 amp that had been paired with a pair of Apogee Duetta Signatures. With the loads that those speakers need, the ML333 was one of the few amps that wouldn't get fried in handling those speakers. Unfortunately, my cat decided about a month ago to sit on top of it and let loose with cat urine that fried the components to where the estimates to repair the unit start at $2,600 and could go to $4,000.

At first, I was committed to getting another ML333, or a 335 or 336 because I loved the ML so much.

After turning over numerous rocks in trying to find a replacement and coming up dry on those fronts, I'm leaning heavily toward making a massive change to my system. Knowing that my amp choices are significantly limited when paired with the Apogees, I came across a pair of Martin Logan Prodigys that I'm considering making my primary speakers in place of the Duetta Signatures. The Apogees had been part of a system that included a pair of Vandersteen 2Ces, and two Vandersteen 2Ws (one powered and one not). To power the sub, I had an Aragon 8002 to handle that job, along with sending the signal to the powered one as well. The 333 easily powered the Apogees and 2Ce's in tandem.

From what I've been told, if I went with the Prodigys, they are much easier to drive than Apogees, so my range of usable amps would be significantly larger. In place of my fried ML333, I've been told about the Classe CA-2200 could handle the job, with one offered that would come with the full 5-year warranty.

With the added bass that the Prodigys I think can handle, I'm thinking of trading in my unpowered 2W, along with the Duetta Signatures, and even possibly the Aragon amp.

I'm wondering how much of an upgrade people think I would be achieving, going from a system that had a ML333, Aragon 8002, Apogee Duetta Signatures, Vandersteen 2Ce's, and a pair of Vandersteen 2Ws to one with Martin Logan Prodigys, Vandersteen 2Ce's, a single powered Vandersteen 2W, all working off the Classe CA-2200. The investment for the purchased equipment will likely be in the area of $9K, and the return on what I would sell would likely be in the area of about $2,750, netting a total investment of slightly more than $6K. If I went with holding steady in getting another ML amp, I'll likely have to spend another $3.5K to $4K, so a difference of a couple of thousand between the two.

Any thoughts?
acaamano

Showing 1 response by gundam91

Acaamano,

So far, we've only heard one side of the story regarding the criminal act. I think the cat should have an opportunity to defend itself.

I owned the 333 for 8 years, bought it as a demo from a dealer. During my ownership, the capacitors blew up twice, and I found out from ML that it had already blewed up once when the dealer had it. This has been discussed quite a bit on various forums. Are you sure it was the cat?

The ML tech told me over the phone that this issue was due to two parts: a design issue and also the capacitor supplier. They had since switched to a different supplier after Harmon took over. Under the new practice, there is a price cap for repairing ML products. When I sent mine in 3 or 4 years ago, it was around $1200 for the amp. But they had a shady practice by telling you that it would not cost that much, but you had to authorize it to that amount for them to start the work. They would come back afterwards and tell you that you got lucky because the cost would have been $2500 without that policy and you were lucky to walk away with only paying $1200 + shipping both ways. They did the same thing to me around the same time on my transport and charged me $1800 + shipping both ways when all I needed was a quick recalibration (per their published internal document that someone sent me afterwards, all I needed was to push a few buttons on the front panel).

I'm not sure who provided you the original quote. But if you are keen on keeping the ML 333, it might be worth calling Harmon and inquire about the cost. But maybe they've changed their policies. Per some owners ML had extended the warranty policy for an extra few years after this issue went public on discussion boards. So you might want to check to see if it is still under warranty. The amp DOES sound better with the new caps though.

And there are NO upgrades. Whoever told you that is B.S.ing. When I sent mine in, I asked whether it would be possible to upgrade it to the 333.5. But the tech told me they no longer provided the parts to do so. So the person is probably trying to cover up the fact that the caps blew up and went back to the factory for repairs. And no independent tech would touch this amp. I had asked several highly recommended repair shops across the country.

So that's another con for the ML333. If you buy another one, you never know when the caps will blow up and cost you more money to fix.

It might be a stretch financially, but I would also recommend the Pass X350.5. I ended up trading my ML333 in for one and never looked back. It can handle lower impedance well. I've heard some great successes from owners using it to drive various Apogee behemeths.

I read Davt's post above with great interest, because not long after I switched the amp, I also switched speakers to the Verity Parsifal Encore with the latest version of the tweeters. Previously I had owned the Thiel 3.6 for like 10 years, and before that Thiel 2.2 for about the same amount of time. I've not heard the X250.5 myself. But I have read equal amount of opinions from (supposedly) people that have compared the X250.5 and the X350.5 that one is better than the other.

FrankC