RCA 9289 tube amplifiers

The RCA 9289D was the final version of this great 200W amplifier.  It features four 6550 in the output stage and an interesting power supply with OD3 regulators.  My father designed the final version of this amp for RCA and we have several available.  I'm testing the water to see if there's still a market for this excellent amp before I start recapping them, or whether folks would prefer them bone stock.

cdietze

Showing 5 responses by cdietze

Dad always favored rebuilding them with Sprague Orange Drop coupling capacitors.  The large can caps generally are OK.  There's no reason to change out the resistors; that's a personal choice, not an engneering choice. 

And Jasonbourne52, this is a mono amp.  I'll take some images next time I'm at teh storage space. 

That amp was probably a 12182.  They were stock with 6146 output tubes but easily converted to 6550's.  The 6146's ran away easily. I had one about 40 years ago and one got so hot it melted the tube bottle.  

I picked up one of the big amps from storage tonight and I'll post some pics tomorrow. 

https://app.photobucket.com/u/cdietze21/a/f76242bb-ea49-4235-9994-43003a4bed80

Hello,

Here's a link to some pictures of one of the amps.  The chassis can rotate 90 degrees from the rails for ease of service, and the meter is a handy tube checker  and line voltage monitor. 

I brought the amp up slow on a Variac and it passed sine wave. 

Tubes are:

12AU7

6SN7

4X 6550

6V6

2X OD3

2X 5R4

Hmm... Sorry about that.  This afternoon was my first experience with Photobucket.  I'll try and straighten that out tomorrow. 

Of course, when I tested the link yesterday it worked because it was me.  I've set it to "public" so please let me know if you can't see them.