RB300 Mod -OR- RB250 Mod, Which you feel is better

I have recently did a wire mod on my RB300. I then went further and purchased the Heavy Weight and removed the Spring from the VTF dial.

Some say the moded RB250 is better because the spring in the RB300 causes resonance problems. On the RB300 it is suggested to set the dial at 3 grams to disengage the spring. I went one further and removed it completely and I must say the arm seemed quite a bit more neutral, less coloured.

Being that I removed the spring and this was the only draw back to the RB300 compared to the RB250, does this mean I now have a modded RB250 with better bearings?

Questions, comments, opinions all welcome here on Audiogon.

-Dave
dr_

Showing 1 response by basement

The rb-300's vertical bearings are attached on one side and the other side where the spring is attached only is attached by the spring itself. (I have dissasembled a rb-300 and seen this). I have not disassembled a rb-250, but it appears as though it may be attached at both sides of the bearing. Does anyone know if this is true?
I did not know that the armtubes of the rb-250 and 300 were different. TWL, you seem to have experience and/or knowledge of this resonence point 1/3 up, do you know if it is the same on both armtubes?
One last question, and I should think this is an important one- what is the difference on bearings betwenn the rb-250, 300, and 600? It seems that all I have ever read about are rumors, just as real rega's are 'supposed' to be of higher quality (or not) than OEM arms made by rega.