R.I.P: Rest In Peace Roy Johnson, Green Mountain Audio's Genius

All,

It is with heavy heart that I bring to you the heart breaking news of the passing of one of audio's true geniuses. Roy Johnson passed away this week after a long battle with cancer. He was a truly brilliant speaker designer, and true friend, and an amazing person. For those of us lucky to have known him as customers or friends we know he was infinitely committed to lending a hand, imparting his wisdom, solving problems and creating some of the most amazing loud speakers ever heard.  There were often gremlins in my system not centered around his loudspeakers and Roy would literally drop everything and help me trace down problems, while all the time educating and teaching me, not for gain, not for money, but because that's who Roy Johnson was. 

He will be greatly missed for his humor, his dedication, and his selflessness in audio and in life.

Rest in Peace Dear Friend,

You Are Loved
128x128birdfan
I'm in shock.  I had been trying to get in touch with him via text, email, and phone over the past week, and became increasingly concerned because he wasn't getting back to me, which is highly uncharacteristic. Just last night I decided to google his name on a whim, just in case, and my heart sank when I saw this post as one of the immediate results.

I've known Roy for more than 10 years, and we've maintained regular contact over the past 3.  The friendship we developed bridged the divide between personal and business.  I learned so much from him over the past decade, I can only be humbly thankful to have shared time with him through our many conversations.  I always referred to him as my 'audio guru'.  I think half of my current main system consists of components from his recommendations, and likewise is positioned based on his insight. 

Like others have said, he always kindly and openly talked about all things audio related, seemingly mastering a deep understanding of the engineering behind many components.  To say he was generous with his time would be an understatement.  When you spoke with him, you could just feel that he was the 'real deal' -- a person who at heart just really loved music and sound reproduction at the core of his being.  His discoveries in speaker design were touching ground on new territory... he was truly a pioneer in his field, and I believe one of a kind and without equal.

As such, he was also a sole keeper of great knowledge.  He and I spoke in depth about the prospects of passing this on in some form so his findings wouldn't be lost to this world.  We had in depth discussions about prospective plans to work together on creating a series of short, creative, visually charged videos illustrating his findings and sound principles, which would be freely available on his new website for all who were interested to learn from.  I think the fact that he wanted to do this speaks to his character.

One of the saddest parts of his passing for me is that I don't think he had the time to pass most of his knowledge forward.  He didn't expect to pass so soon... I doubt anybody did.  I spoke with him just a couple weeks ago and he was feeling good!  He had been running into bottlenecks with his health sporadically over the past few years... From what I understood, it was mostly having to do with getting proper oxygen supply to his lungs.  He had a health snag a couple months back, but had bounced back and was excited about his work and that he was more energetic and able to move around the shop again.  He was also excited about having hired a few new people recently, including a new engineer which we spoke very highly of.

To conclude on a positive note, I'd like to share a snippet of a text he sent me a month ago. 

"Well, when you break barriers I think you must always look back to see if other questions could have been asked. I had not really ever thought precisely about what "no driver there" sounds like. It sounds like the artist on that recording, and with high emotion and 'swing' if there, even including 'subtle' changes to anything you can imagine. Except you are not Elton John, so how could you imagine what you have never heard him do? Until now. Always makes for a whole new level of appreciation. 
After fixing the last existing phase shifts in the drivers, the XTC breakthrough, I remember listening to a famous reggae woman singing at an outdoor festival. The song and performance I thought I knew well. The speakers were already good enough to tell she sang with a lisp but not when just speaking. Now, I could easily tell it was from an underbite when she sang. Not the usual overbite behind many lisps. 
Fine- more detail to hear.
But surprise to me was hearing the long-term quavering, a weakness she laid out in her song-- her boyfriend had left and didn't know what and it was tearing her apart- right then, right now. Made you choke up, whereas five minutes before you were thinking about mowing the lawn. Pretty obvious 'it's a great speaker.' But with new ribbon inserted, what I hear is no tweeter. Which is weird." 
                                                 -Roy Johnson, June 30 2019

This is in reference to a new speaker I had purchased from him, which he had been working on for years, and had almost finished... The bulk of his work lately was in designing the tweeter, and as you will read, he would settle for nothing less than something truly stellar... a perfectionist at heart.  He sounded truly happy with his results, and felt he had reached a point of completion after all the work he's done over the past years.  These new models were the culmination of all his prior designs and research, new experiments, new discoveries, and the availability of brand new tweeter designs that were previously unavailable.  I believe, in the end, he achieved a new level of sound reproduction just before he passed.  It warms my heart to think that he was able to experience it and enjoy the fruits of his labor with deep satisfaction in a sort of unexpected final celebration on Earth.

Needless to say, I'm deeply saddened.  This took me completely by surprise, and I'll forever miss my audio guru who held my hand as I navigated the depths of the art of truly great audio design.  Goodbye old friend, you will be forever missed... may your new wings take you to concerts in the sky.
Aww, Very sad. I have had a few discussions with Roy over the years. Best customer service I have ever experienced in this field. He took the time to detail out the smallest things, that end up being the big things. Late last year I got 2 of his latest woofers for the Callisto speakers and he was just perfect in walking me through the replacement; 

Requiescat in pace
Really sorry to hear about this.
I've heard Continuum 3's many times at a friend's house, great talent, great human.

R.I.P.
Man, this was a bummer. I met Roy earlier this year after asking Jeff Rowland some of the speakers he liked. Jeff knew him pretty well I guess. So we had just met and also had some hour plus long conversations over the phone about how stuff worked and things he had figured out to overcome this or that .. he showed me drawings that I'll post here of possible of his newest speaker that was a floorstander I was completely amazed by. Ive never seen a design aesthetic look like it before. It combined Art Deco with 2001 a Space Odyssey. Almost a humanoid shape looking up at you. I gave him a verbal order on the spot. I said every time I go to listen, my little buddies will be there to greet me..
It was clear to see and feel his passion. Also being an audio passionate myself , I could get caught up in his enthusiasm and somehow wanted to help him get his company rocking and rolling. I knew he was short handed and had been struggling with O2 levels though he also told me he was on the mend. I wondered how he could deal with the altitude, but I dont even know what it is in Colorado Springs.. He absolutely left a memory with me. If anyone is close with his Mother, close enough to go by his shop, I believe he had the molds for the new speaker made, someone ought to build them to celebrate his life. I spoke with him man, must have been days before he passed. I also noticed he did not return my text which was uncommon. Then I got a call from Jeff to let me know he had transitioned. Well hes a lot more unencumbered now. 
I'm really glad I got to catch a little of his energy before he took off. 

Blessings to the energy we called Roy Johnson     
Sad to hear the news ...

Posting on here to represent the far flung customer base to whom Roy had managed to reach out to with his fantastic speakers.  I still have and enjoy my Eos HX speakers which have been a constant in my setup for the past few years.   

Roy will be missed.  May his soul rest in peace!

Sincerely,

Nikhil Nayak
Hyderabad, India