"New Stock" EH EL34 Fat Boy and TungSol 6550

The rain has me itchy to do some tube rolling. I am looking for a quad for my Cary SLA70 modded for triode. I have used it with both the Sovtek and Svetlana EL34s. The Sovtek has tremendous detail but is a bit grainy. The Svetlana is very smooth but feels congested in the mids. I am intrigued by some of the new reissues - specifically the EH EL34 Fat Boy and the new TungSol 6550 (amp will take 34a, 6550, 88s). Has anyone had a chance to hear either or both of these? I am not specifically interested in on whether or not they as good as the originals though I and the other readers are I'm sure interested if you think they are faithful to the type.

I am extremely interested in whether or not you liked what you heard, how you would characterize the sound and whether or not you consider them an equal, better or worse value to the tubes they compete with in the marketplace.

I appreciate your comments and look forward to a lively discussion
ckorody

Showing 2 responses by jayboard

Thanks, Zinfan, that's helpful. Reading your descriptions of the Svets and EH's, I think we hear the same relative differences between the two but just have different subjective preferences (besides having different equipment; my tubes are in a Van Alstine Super 70i amp). For example, to me the Svets's midrange is a little too bloomy; the EH's are lean but sound more open and have more delicate, crystalline highs. But there certainly are things I like about the Svets. If the Fat Boys have both good bass and lots of air, they sound like something I'd like to try sometime.
Zinfan, when you're up and around and your new tubes are broken in, can you offer more description of the EH FatBoys compared to EH EL34 "regulars" (or the Svets or JJs)? My opinion of the Svets is like Ckorody's, and I do like EH EL34 regulars. So, don't know if my tastes would run toward the FatBoys, but I'd be interested in a little more information. Thanks.