"Brand New"...I don't think so

What's up with the ads that say in the title "Brand New" and then proceed to show the item on top of the box, obviously opened. Often times it will say only opened to test, or only used a week before I bought another higher priced whatever...etc.
IMO "New" means just that, never opened and especially never hooked up.
Ag insider logo xs@2xmuzikat

Showing 1 response by gz3827

You are absolutely correct!

Audiogon standards state quite clearly: "When an item's condition is called "NEW", it must be a factory sealed box, and the seller should declare what if any warranty will be provided by the manufacturer. Some manufacturers will honor warranties only if purchased from an "authorized" dealer. Other manufacturers may offer warranty to the original owner only, even if that original owner never opened the box. Thus, any item rated as NEW should be accompanied by a warranty statement within the description of the listing. Otherwise, prospective buyers should ask the seller about the warranty - do not make any assumptions other than a factory sealed box. If an item has been opened for inspection or any other reason, it should NOT be rated "New"."

So apparently, some people just can't read! When I see an ad such as you've described, I disregard it and move on.