"Beginner" audiophile Turntable for $200-$300?

I'm yet another "newbie" wanting to listen to my long-time stale album collection (primarily pop). I don't see myself being a tweaker, at least in the beginning - I just want a "plug & play" turntable, I suppose, for now. I just want to set it up and play my albums - but I do want the most accurate reproducibility of the information on my albums as I can get with $200-$300 (my budget, more or less).

It's the techie/perfectionist in me to make sure that I get a good deal (which means I can upgrade parts - rather than the whole thing...so that I could spread the costs across many paychecks ;-). This is how many of my other hobbies are (Ham Radio, PCs, etc.).

It would seem that if I only wanted "plug & play", and since I'm just a newbie in this, I would go with the less expensive Music Hall MMF-2.1 (which is NOT upgradeable). No one recommends the even less expensive Sony PS-LX350H (or anything from Sony) which is where I began my journey researching this topic. The MMF-2.1 seems to be THE entry-level/beginner audiophile turntable. But, based on reviews and posts, I'm worried about Music Hall's apparent lack of quality workmanship throughout; lack of a good manual (especially for a newbie that doesn't know how to properly setup a more "audiophile" like, manual turntable); and the fact that "just" another $100 (or so) would get me a much better sounding turntable (based on my research so far) that is at least somewhat upgradeable (NAD 533).

The reviews and posts on the NAD 533 are much better than for the MMF-2.1 - and I understand that the tone arm is "basically" a Rega RB-250. In deed, the entire turntable is OEM'd by Rega for NAD and is slightly different than a Rega P2. Based on reviews & posts, I also plan to upgrade to a better cartridge than the one that comes with the NAD 533 - but that's another $100! ARGGG!!!! Oh well, maybe later (I just want very good reproducibility - so I lean toward purchasing a new cartridge before I spend any effort on listening or transferring my album collection to CD - at least for in-car listening).

The VPI HW-19 Jr looks like the ultimate in upgradeability, especially in that it can be upgraded to a full-blown TNT Series 5! But, I cannot see paying $600/$650 (at the minimum, for a used one) right now.

So, I'm strongly leaning toward the NAD 533 for now!

I appreciate any suggestions/recommendations/feedback.

Thanks,

Wes
wlusk5fd8

Showing 5 responses by bomarc

I tend to agree with Sugarbrie. I could be misreading him, but Wes does not sound like the kinda guy who's quite ready to be playing with VTA adjustments. (And there's nothing wrong with that--we all started that way!) While upgrades can be an economical route, they also require a certain amount of hands-on tinkering.

So my suggestion, Wes, would be to go with a new unit that comes all set up, and then save up for a better rig while working your way up the learning curve. The Music Hall 2.1 would qualify. An alternative would be a Technics table with a p-mount cartridge, which is as easy a set-up as you can get. That way, you'll get to listen to your LPs now with minimal hassle, and look forward to something better down the line.
Wes: No, a cheap turntable will not damage your LPs. What will damage your LPs is a cartridge that requires a high tracking force. I'd stay away from any cartridge whose maximum recommended tracking force exceeds 2 grams. But p-mount carts track at 2 grams, if I'm not mistaken, so your records should be fine.

I also wouldn't buy a table with a no-name cartridge, like the Sony. And upgrading the Sony means dealing with a standard-mount cartridge. Welcome to the finicky perfectionist side of audiophilia! (It's quite doable, but you have to learn how to do it.) By contrast, the p-mount on the Technics (I'd go for the better one) really is plug-and-play.

The Music Hall 1 that Dbx mentions takes a proprietary cartridge. You can't upgrade it. If Music Hall goes under two years from now, you'll probably be able to get replacement styli for it, but there are no guarantees.

Finally, take all specs with a grain of salt. Sony's numbers may be worse because they're worse, or they may be worse because they measured more "conservatively," shall we say.

Can't tell you what to buy. You've got to decide how to weigh:
--price
--ease of set-up
--ease of upgradability
--build quality
--brand reputation
JC is right about the non-adjustability of p-mount arms. That's the whole idea, in fact. Every p-mount cartridge is made to the same weight (part of the standard), so you'll get the same tracking force whichever p-mount cartridge you use. It's simple, which is its virtue. Sucks all the fun out, of course, and you can't decide to experiment with an extra quarter-gram, up or down.

If resale value matters, Technics is definitely not the way to go, as JC says. I wouldn't go to a higher model Technics, either, the MH and NAD options are much more appealing.
Wes: Just about any table that comes "with" a cartridge will come with it mounted properly (or at least reasonably properly). So if you buy a new NAD or MH, you don't have to worry about cartridge mounting until you are ready to upgrade the cart. If you buy used, and the table doesn't come with the original cart still in place, you'll have to check the alignment (or trust that the seller knew what he was doing).

As for Psychic's claim, it's a bit outre in these parts, but not implausible. Technics has been making turntables for decades--pretty good ones, though lacking in high-end appeal--and as a large company it enjoys the benefits of economies of scale. It's a bit of an audiophile conceit that the little guys always make better product. This is often true, but certainly not universal. And you yourself have noted some Internet comments about the MH's build quality.
Wes: Audiophiles are a finicky lot, and they like to play. So of course the first thing they want to do when they get a new table is to change the cartridge! It's the quickest way to make a meaningful improvement. But the Goldring Elan (which I think comes with the MH 2.1) is a long-time budget cartridge favorite, and the Elektra on the NAD is a step up from that. Either is as good as or better than most p-mounts, at least in your price range.

I've got a NAD with the original cartridge, and it's quite good. Had I the money and the vinyl collection to justify it, I know I could do a lot better, but it's good enough for those times when I want to listen to an oldie.