Quick take on the MBL 6010D Reference Preamp

I had an absolutely wonderful afternoon, about four hours of listening, sitting in front of my good friend/audiophile/music lover's reference system, in order to tell him what I thought of his new "toys'" sonic performance.

His new piece is the magnificent looking and sounding MBL 6010D reference preamp, that recently was released about six months ago. This preamp weighs in at 90 pounds! The rest of his system is reference caliber: Kharma Grand Ceramiques, Kharma amps and wires, CEC TL-0 transport, Meitner DAC.

So, you could see way this would be a delightful experience to listen to my favorite music on this world class rig, but that's not what I really wanted to share with you GON members, the reason for this post was how shocking better the MBL was over his old and very highly regarded Lamm L2 reference preamp.

I dislike intensely audiophile cliche's, like it "blew it away", however in every meaningful factor(s) such as noise floor, liquidity/transparency, harmonic/dynamic details, soundstage width/depth and just a beautiful sense of natural bloom and air with very natural timbres, the MBL was not just an improvement over the Lamm, but a true qualitative shift towards the sound of music.

So, does this mean the Lamm L2 is now a "hunk of junk" of course not, but for me it means at least two things: 1) The MBL 6010D must be considered to join the ranks of one of the best 4 or 5 preamps in the world today. 2) I would believe that while the Lamm L2 is still a very good preamp it's ranking as one of the best references must be revaluated compared to not only the MBL but some of the state of the art preamps on the market today. As an absolute reference I think the Lamm L2 is starting to show its age.

My friend's system before he replace the Lamm L2 was a real sonic knockout before, with his new "baby" the MBL 6010D its gone to a new level of performance and musicality. Congratulations, Brother Keith, it's a great addition to your system and you will have years of pleasure listening to the music you love even on a higher level now!
teajay

Showing 2 responses by sirspeedy70680e509

Teajay and other fortunate MBL owners,it is very interesting that the "solid state" weaknesses of past components seems to be diminishing as time goes by.
Yet there is still a contingency who, still, are absolutely resolute about anything solid state being the least bit musical,as compared to tube units.
Now we have some products(I'm sure there are quite a few more,BTW)like the Dartzeel,ASR,MBL and some of the Pass products,all of which I have heard,that are getting very good "press"(sadly too many 'philes are way too influenced by the "mags")and deservedly so.
My own system consists of highly modded equipment,all solid state,but a hybrid tube phonostage(three tubes).I have always felt it competed with the better configurations I have heard,yet if one is/was a tube lover,in my highly biased "tube worshiping" audio group,then hearing my set-up almost always came with a preconceived notion that it would "have to be better" if more tubes were in the circuit.I've actually had it that way,in the past.
I NEVER fell for that line,as I have had every possible configuration (Tubes and solid state)over my years in this hobby,and felt my current rig (one that I have been very careful in voicing to my tastes,and nobody else's)had what I was looking for.
Yet if one goes back,only a year or so ago,and looks at some of the "roundtable discussions" in magazines like TAS,we find the findings of what are considered to be the more experienced journalists around,to clearly not only favor all tube set-ups,but also go on to state that solid state cannot possibly be musical due to certain distortion artifacts,which are endemic to such designs.
"Tubes were music,with solid state being nice,yet Hi-Fi"!!
Personally some of the better systems I like(and don't own)are low powered tube amps,driving simple speakers.Yet they too have limitations.Everything does!If something is good,it's "GOOD".Period!!
My overall point being that I am thrilled to see "quality design" being rewarded,as in the case of this new MBL unit.I don't give a damn whether it's tubed or solid state driven(as I understand it,this is a solid state design).
I never cared for the MBL demos I had heard.Always at audio shows,and played far too loud,for me,but I have no doubts that this preamp is the real deal.

Yet my little audio group,of tube lovers,could never allow themselves to hear the virtues of that design.Say "solid state" and they automatically put the KIBASH on it!Of course if I got one,and told them it was a tube unit,it would be a whole different scenario,and I guarantee a different listening perception would be conveyed.SAD!
Teajay---Good for you(and your friend),that you can be unbiased.Even the most experienced among "many" are hard pressed to simply hear what is in front of them.
Time to really listen with the ears,and not our eyes!

Best!
Davis,as a very interested party,in the Mini Exquisites,and knowing how good the Lamm 2.1 performs on the 3.2,do you feel the 2.1 handles dynamics well on the Mini Exquisites.

Thanks!