Questions to ask as I shop for a tonearm?

I’ll be upgrading in 6+ mos. I’m asking now because I’m still learning. I want to take plenty of time to understand the relevant technical aspects of something so complicated & what makes one person love brand X & another person dislike it.

I have a George Warren tt & a Sumiko Blackbird cart I’m waiting for to put on the stock Rega 250. I’m also waiting for Christmas to hookup a Jolida JD9 mkII.  My budget will be ~$1500. While brand & model suggestions are appreciated... I want to learn about tonearms. As always, I appreciate the knowledge you all pass on to me.
tochsii
To mount any tonearm you need Dr.Feickert protractor with precision Pivot to Spindle ruler. I bought mine from these guys (without VAT the price was sweet).
I would only choose a tonearm that can be adjustable in all needed parameters.....weight of cartridge, height, overhang, azimuth.
@stringreen azimuth and overhang can be adjusted on the removable headshell, all tonearms (except denon) in my list (for example) have VTA on the fly.

Many tonearms does not have this options and must be avoided in my opinion, especially most of the modern tonearms, don’t forget that price range extimated to $1500 by the OP. Tonearms without removable headshell, but with azimuth on the fly, cost 3 times as much (such as Reed).
Post removed 
The main function of a tonearm is to register the cartridge in the record groove, and to maintain this registration as the stylus transits the record.

This is accomplished by allowing fine adjustments to be made, and having those adjustments remain stable. Resonance is also an issue.

Enter Trans-Fi Terminator air bearing tonearm, a superb tonearm within your price range. I own two of them, both on high end turntables, one a commercial product, one a DIY air bearing. They are highly adjustable, stable, and exceedingly "tweakable". I have had good results with a light MM and with a higher end Koetsu, just by changing the tonearm mass with weights and adding damping.

The only problem is that the tonearm does not work with a suspended turntable, because the beam of the tonearm must be absolutely horizontal for the air bearing to work. Since neither of my TT is suspended (they sit on a concrete foundation bedded in rock far from heavy equipment), the Trans-Fi is ideal for me.

Good luck!