Questions on KT150 tubes

Does anybody here have experience using that tube? Can you tell me how it sounds? I have a Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP and it can use them but they aren't cheap. I'm running the stock EL34s and LOVE it but seems like this tube is all the rage. The Primaluna is unbelievable for its tube magic as-is. Also I wonder if the KT150 would last.

Also the best places to buy them. Not the cheapest. The best quality.
therealist

Showing 9 responses by wolf_garcia

KT150s are amazing sounding tubes, and after replacing my nearly 3 year old KT120s (they served with distinction as I work 'em fairly hard) about 12 months ago I have to say they don't make me want to ever use anything else in this amp (I have KT88s and 6550s that patiently stand by and also sound fine, but the 150s just work))…big sound, more effortless power (seemingly)…I bias at the amp's recommended 500mv point and they just stay there…large glass power pickles.
My KT150s have been in my amp long enough to erase the  memory of the tubes preceding them.
2000 hours on 120s seems to be about half or less than I got on mine and I had my ear on them looking for any sign of age near their end, and removed them as soon as I detected any tonal weakness (which was minimal but it seemed clear they had done their job)…I bet they had 5000 to 6000 hours on them, and I expect the 150s to last at least as long so we'll see.
Lots of amps with 8 power tubes seem like nice things, and I've lusted for that Cary 120 amp for years (I guess after a Cordesman review), but doubling my power tube cost and amp heat output (I think even if tubes are driven less hard they're still little space heaters…unavoidable) is somewhat off-putting, although if a really great deal on a 120 came along…hmm...Besides, my "el cheapo" (seriously) Jolida sounds so good (dynamic snappy tube power, inaudible noise floor, accurate tone) I don't mind keeping the damn thing for a long time, thus freeing up cash for the "next great power tube" outbreak. 
Are you saying personal preference plays a part in tube selection? THAT'S INSANE…If 16 people say 150s are what you should like, you should simply put them in and suck it up…even if in your rig they sound like an utter cacophony of screeching dog bleat, there is little room in high end for naysayers.
I don't recall breaking in the 150s for any particular time period since I replaced a set of 120s that were on their last legs…thus an instant improvement. Also, I can only assume that since all amp designs are somewhat different, so are the way they utilize the tone potential of various tube types…I bought my 150s for under 300 bucks a set (matched, dusted off, weighed, counseled, told to not be afraid of crazy Americans, allowed to say goodbye to tubes who were still in that lonely Russian factory) and if ARC supplies some brand specific mojo I'm not surprised they'd charge you more for these things…another reason to buy a Jolida!
$269 a year ago for a "matched" (at the factory? A tube dating site?) quad of 150s from a very highly rated Ebay seller. Long live the hot pickle!…just crazy good sounding tubes.