Questions never stop ever, it seems.

Hello All,  is there any point, any discernable advantage, to go to the hassle of including your subwoofer in the signal path of a bi-wired speaker system? Assuming you have enough connections to pull it off or it's even possible.

As opposed to the more normal thought of using the hi pass filter in the subwoofer by running the signal out from the preamp to the subwoofer then running the subwoofer out to the amplifier.

I don't really see a clear way to do both, bi-wire and use that hi pass filter and maybe even potentially blowing everything into orbit if you connect things wrong. Any opinions or ideas? Thanks.

j
stereoisomer
Post removed 
With a powered sub you are actually running a bi-amped system, which in my opinion is better than bi-wiring. If your sub does have a high pass filter (IME most do not) I would do as you have already stated, connect the preamps outs to the sub and then connect the subs high pass outputs to your main speakers amp. 
My front speakers amps are connected with XLR-type analog connections from my preamp. The sub is connected to the extra RCA-type L and R analog outputs from the same preamp.

The front cabinet's roll-off in the mid-30Hz range. A SVS Ultra sub is set-up to play from 31Hz and below in the sealed mode. This minimizes any frequency overlap between the SVS Sub and 15 inch bass drivers in the front cabinets. 

Subs like REL’s mentioned earlier do sound great connected to the high-level speaker leads because they share the amplifier's sound character with the front stereo speakers.     
My apologies I should have given a bit more info. The subwoofer is a Sunfire SDS-12 so I do have the connections and controls on it to as I wish. Meaning I have the preamp outs run into the subwoofer in, followed by connecting the subwoofer outs to the speaker. As I understand it, I am automatically using the subwoofer's hi pass filter this way.

But I don't see a way to run the cables this way, through the subwoofer then back out, that would also include a bi-wire option, right? 

I mean, I'm pretty sure I am correct there. Run the speaker cables in a standard bi-wire configuration or run it through the subwoofer with bi-wire. I've looked over the Net for potential connection diagrams for a bi-wired system that includes a subwoofer in the path but I haven't seen any which makes me suspect it's enormously complex or can't be done.

Right?

j
audiorusty177,

That is exactly how I have my system currently configured. Preamp Outs to Subwoofer In and Subwoofer Outs to the amplifier itself. That engages the hi pass filter and gives me some control options on the subwoofer but are you also saying the system is now bi-AMPED  not just bi-wired? I'm just trying to make sure I understand here.

Thanks!