Questions about RCA 5751tubes

I am needing some help..

I ordered a pair of Sylvania 3 mica Black Plate 5751s for $150
and was sent RCA JRC-5751s instead. Please bear with all my questions.

1. I was told these were better tubes and matched within 2.5%
One tube has a sticker with 1.5/1.5 and the other says 1.6/1.7
Can I tell if these are matched from these values?

2. What do these values mean? Are they an indication of life left
on the tube? If so what values are considered NOS and what
values are considered 50% and 75% life left?

3. Are RCA JRC-5751 Black Plate, 3 mica, (smooth edge top mica)
as good as Sylvania 3 mica Black Plate 5751s?

I was surprised to get a different tube than I ordered but wanted
to ask everyone if this really is a better tube? Anything you can
tell me about this tube would be very appreciated..

More info on these tubes:

The top of the tube (nipple of the tube)is painted half green/half red.
I assume these are military markings..??? What do they mean?

The silk screening is all white but 90% worn off so you can't
read anything but part of the RCA logo, 5751, and JRC

2 black plates

Each tube seems to have 2 paper clip looking supports (one at each
end) to tighten up and better secure all 3 mica disks.

square halos.
tom92602

Showing 2 responses by mechans

1. JRC is just the military designation for RCA. Tyey are IMHO just as good if not better than the white letter RCA branded tubes. These are not like getting a JAN Phillips tube instead of an RCA.
2, They are close enough values I find to call it a match. The difference that you would note if any is a difference in volume from one channel. The number refers to filament draw and is a better estimate of the life left in a tube than a striaght gain or Mu reading. I don't know it as well as I should. My testers are Hickoks and use GM. The Filament is what causes the tube to boil off electron from the anode to the cathode. If it is shot, the tube is virtually useless.Typical NOS is given as 1.9 but is dependent on whose testing and which tester thyey didn't callibrate.
Sylvania which may come as JHS if triple Mica Blackplates are considered by most a better tube than the RCA or GE. The Sylvania is hard to find and is a full tone tube with good extension and a sweet mid. I also like them the most. I have a pair in my rig now.
The mystique surrounding the GE grey plates that have been hawked here is myterious indeed they have the least defined and least refined sound of any even 2 mica RCA blacks like the Commands.
The green red tips are a dealer's grading scheme. It is not mlitary standard and can mean anything. Red is the Top grade in some dealer schemes.
The poor print is par for a 5751 which are uncommon as NOS.
The tube you ordered is exactly what you got.
If anything the military name like VT-231 for a 6SN7 is preferred. White print was used on the 50s tubes so you have a preferred tube early vs later when red was employed.
The Sound you have to judge for yourself. I think it is just less of the same overall presentation the Sylvania provides. Typically a littlle leaner but very clean.
If you can scare up a few bucks try the JAN 70s and 80s , get some grey plates beg for Sylvania triple mica blackplates and for Raytheons windmill getter a very popular tube that is also very very clean. Both will likely cost you about $150/pair in good shape today.
The GE triple mica (JG if military) blackplate the premium consumer brand was called 5 star at one point. Sylvanias Gold Brand frequently a 2 Mica grey plate with Blatty bass didn't always come with gold pins the 3 mica gold brand blackplate was always steel pin. All are tubes to try as well.
I can tell you a sampler LIke that will cost you a ton of money and took me a couple of years to assemble.
It takes time to find decent used or NOS- ish tubes. Even dealers pass on some pretty lousy stuff.
Also don't forget the current production. It has a very distinctly 5751 upper end. I think only Sovtek is making it now. Don't recall Shuguang ever doing it.
Finally there are a few Amperex and supposedly Telefunken 5751s . I warn you to avoid European as the 5751 is a truly USA tube and while there is sufficient belief that Amperex did maake them, I own a pair, they look like GE to me. Telefunken????
The only thing I misseed was the silver clip. It means something to one dealer in particular but is common to all 3 major players GE RCA SYl. Finally really there is one other true American brand that is not terribly distinguished for the 5751 that is Tung Sol. Somewhat harder to find but usually not expensive because they are so so. Some dealers will ask money for rarity but demand was low when I bought. figure a $50 tube in ANOS condition.
I am tired if you want more write to me via agon. And remember I am only one jackass amongst the many, we are mostly opinions.
I really cannot speak for the group and cast braod aspertions about the general nature of humility. Tom92602 is clearly not a silly audiophile but a very correct and presumambly serious fellow. He is not a Humble Jackass I aplogize.
I missed one Huge point I really made an idiot of myself.
I thought our OP had asked for RCA and got JRC. I see now he asked for Sylvania and got RCA. this is truly no sarcasm intended at all criminal. That kind of behavior earns dealers a questionable charater tating in this case there is no question he is totally wrong by subbing which ever tube he deems fit too. I mean this perhaps that should be punishable with sanctions and a ban from Agon. Our poster should recieve a pair of excellent triple mica Blackplate 1950 vintage Sylvania 5751s. If he is not allowed to exchange them I will offer a pair of my own to barrow long enough to get an idea of what they are like.
OP please contact me through the AGON mail system.
I am not a dealer but have many tubes and may sell some in the future.
That is the only disclosure of potential conflict of interest I can think of. I do not have Sylvania 3 mica BP 5751s for sale only for him alone to borrow. I have JHs, Gold Brand, (? 3 mica) and Sylvania consumer regular. Many have rubbed or warn print but there is a way to identify them that readily distinguishes them from the JRC RCA which have almost Identical plates and getter rings.