Question re input Sensitivity and 110 db speakers

Can an integrated amp, 60 WPC Class A, input sensitivity at rated output 125 mV, be used with 110 db sensitive speakers in terms of: Will the volume control be so sensitive that it will not be possible to adjust the sound levels to low volumes, or will it be "all or nothing" in that there will be no minor volume adjustments because of the high sensitivity of the speakers?
Anybody know the answer?
Thanks!
springbok10

Showing 1 response by jax2

I doubt you will need an attenuator or padding of any kind, though it certainly is an option. I've used powerful amps with 104db LaScalas and had no such problems as you're anticipating. My friend was running a 200wpc Mac amp with Khorns which have a 104db efficiency rating - Don't recall any problems there. I'm currently running 500wpc mono amps into 92db efficiency speakers with no problems at all. I don't get much past 9 O'clock on my volume, but that is really not a problem (it still is a smooth transition, over a shorter rotation). The combination I'm using sounds wonderful to me (not necessarily because of the pairing of high power and efficiency). Obviously your speakers are likely a great candidate for lower power SET amps, as Tarsando points out. That's not to say they can't sound great with another option. Certainly with the higher power amp you will not have to use nearly as much of the volume, but it is not going to be an all or nothing scenario.

Marco