Question on Yamaha seperates. Also the A-S 2000

I would like some thoughts on older Yamaha units.  I have a CX 800 and have had one in the past. I find it borders on being a bit bright and clinical. Not always but very much on the edge. I am not the only one that has mentioned this. The INVERT function helps warm it slightly and give more natural timber. I assume the CX 830 is much the same but have never seen the inside of one so no idea if real changes were made. That leads me to ask about the CX2. I was getting out of the bizz at that time but I had understood that it was a different animal. Has anyone owned or heard these units together that can give a opinion of the sonic differences? I am trying to decide if I should be going for a CX 2. I am sure they do sound different. I know the C6 I had actually was smoother and more rich then the CX 800 but no remote which I would like.

Also, where does the M4 power fit in in comparison to say the MX 800U, 830U or MX 2..  I know there are a lot of fans of the M4.

Was thinking about a used A-S 2000 integrated but have heard that it is pretty laidback?

Thanks
128x128geph0007

Showing 2 responses by willland

" Was thinking about a used A-S 2000 integrated but have heard that it is pretty laidback?"

@geph0007,

I can't speak specifically about the A-S2000 but I can about the A-S1000.  IMO, it is far from laid back especially when you put the pedal down.  Now you could say that it excels well with less energized music like acoustic guitar and folk/singer-songwriter female vocals but it will really open up with the likes of Rush or Steely Dan.  Concert piano pieces sound like a big Yamaha Grand is right in your living room.  I happen to be using very dynamic and efficient Klipsch RB-75(97dB) "bookshelf" speakers so that may be a factor here but recently hooked up a small pair of Polk Audio RT25I(89dB) bookshelf speakers and they held their own for what they are.  Nowhere near as energetic with the Polks but that was to be expected.  Just bought the matching CD-S1000 and that added even more listening pleasure to my rig.

Bill

"Interesting   Just concerned about being soft for Rock and blues"

Listened to a little SRV last night on my A-S1000 and "soft" is not what I was hearing.  Thumping bass lines and a screaming Strat with serious authority.  Never fell apart even at near ear damaging levels.  Again, my RB-75's play a huge roll in the loudness and very low distortion.

Bill