Question on Hafler DH 220 price

I have an opportunity to buy a Hafler DH 220 with a Musical Concepts PA3E upgrade that was done in 2008. The ask is $400. Other than the gray housing (not my first choice in color) that gives me pause, I’d seriously like to give this amp a go with my Magnepan MMGs - it’s clearly a very well-regarded amp and I think it would match well with the MMGs and Rhythmik FG12 I bought here on Audiogon. I’m currently running the MMGs and an MMG-C off an Adcom GFA6000 with the surround channels unused to give it some breathing room, but while the sound is not necessarily unpleasant (it’s detailed, open, and revealing of source limitations) I can’t help but think I can get more out of the MMGs than what I’m getting. The other amp under consideration is a B&K ST 30303 with 300 wpc into 4 ohms. I do not have the ability to A/B these or even hear them.

Any thoughts on the two amps side-by-side? My sense is that the Hafler will win out over the B&K with quality watts over the B&K’s quantity. Is the price of the Hafler at $400 too much?

Thanks.
128x128hartf36

Showing 1 response by bwaslo

Hi,

I can't comment on whether the price is right or not, but I'd advise checking the Hafler for physical transformer noise before buying if you go that way.  Put it on a wooden table or board or the like and turn it on (without anything else attached) and see if it emits a low-level acoustic hum, even a weak one.  Some of the Haflers' power transformers emit a low but audible hum which can drive you nuts after a while if you're amp is unlucky enough to have it..  A few years back I gave a DH220 away because the hum couldn't be fixed without replacing the transformer (too expensive for what it was worth).  Otherwise, not a bad amp.