Question for you B&W Guys

I know this question has been asked before.

This is my set up:

Krell FPB 400CX
KCT Pre-amp
Bryston BCD-1 CD player
Rel R328 Sub
B&W CDM 7NT Speakers

My question is I am looking to up grade my speakers. I love the sound of the B&W's. The ones I am looking at are 803N and 804N along with the S serious. I am assuming the S serious are the newer ones. Are the S's that much better then the N serious?

Thanks for your help in advance guys
dancer

Showing 2 responses by gz3827

The only substantive difference between 804 and 803 is in the bass, 803 being better in that regard. But since you have a sub, the 804 should be just fine and you won't need to spend as much. I have the 804 Diamonds with no sub but with a punchy amp, and I think the bass is quite sufficient. As for differences in the series, I'd lean to the S over the N. The newer Diamonds are a definite step up from the S, but even though I have the Diamond series, I am not so sure the increase in the price is justified by the degree of improvement in the sound. List prices new for the Diamond series went up 50% over list prices new for the S series, that's quite a jump. One last point -- don't get confused on the series terminology. There is also an older "D" series, which is often confused with the current "Diamond" series.
I feel compelled to correct an understatement in what I wrote yesterday. List prices for the current Diamond series did not go up by 50%; they went up much more than that. For example, the 805 monitors went from $2500 when the S was introduced to $5000 when the Diamond was introduced.