Question for those with “Golden ears”, and a frustration! (The Loudness Wars)

Hello! My first text! My user name, is short for my Companies name.
  Anyway, I ALWAYS wondered, which sounds better to you with $$$$ equipment? The Led Zeppelin Rhino Black box of Japanese made, mini copies of the record album sleeves CD’s of ALL the albums? Or, the large sized four CD disk boxset with the crop circle picture on the front(1990 release?), and the later small box, that had the songs missing from the four box “crop circles” box? The mini-album Japanese CD’s sound pretty damn good to me!  Any thoughts? Which sounds better to you? Those with CD based systems I can only dream of owning?  As to my rant, I went to the Wiki article of: The Sound Wars! And there was a link where you can put in your CD or album title and artist, and it tells you if it’s been compressed(LOUD!), or, not. Specifically: CD’s, (if it’s compressed, the VU meters will stay locked in the red) My favorite Fleetwood Mac CD, The Dance, all in the RED, BAD! 😢 U2’s Joshua Tree (special boxed edt.) All in the GREEN (GOOD). But I swear, the drums/cymbals, IMO, sound awful on that CD! Especially the cymbals! NEVER could find a good sounding Joshua Tree CD that the drums and cymbals sounded good. 🙁 That was my FAVORITE concert!!! 4’th. row seats!! AWESOME! Other albums, NIN CD’s all in the red, Van Halen as well. And the worst, totally unlistenable, got it for Christmas many years ago, Led Zep., The Mothership CD’s. 🤮

Thank you all!!!
savroof9849

Showing 14 responses by savroof9849

So, the consensus is the “Crop Circles” CD Boxset, not so good (1990?). And the Black Box, with all Japanese CD’s best. I also bought the first four CD albums in SHM-CD format. Not to be confused with SACD’s. SHM-CD’s can play on any CD player, something with the usual plastic/silver side, the plastic is a more transparent polymer than regular CD’s use. Maybe a money grab by the Japanese, IDK. I think the SHM process was invented by Pioneer, and another company. I cannot hear a difference. But I have B&W bookshelf speakers with the aluminum nautilus tweeters, and yellow (Kevlar?) main drivers? 
Any other thoughts would be appreciated! Anyone else buy the Led Zep Japanese SHM CD’s??
To the poster that wanted to listen to the Official YouTube video sound (AWESOME) of U2’s Joshua Tree video: “The Streets have no name”, with REAL cymbals and drums:

https://youtu.be/GzZWSrr5wFI
I’m just very sad some stupid “suit”, god help us if it was the artist choice, but some “suit”, saying: “GOTTA BE LOUDER TO SELL!!”. 😡😡😡😡😡. I can sorta understand: Van Halen, DEFINITELY Metallica’s album that everyone talked about being UNLISTENABLE! But I REALLY respect: the members of: Fleetwood Mac, especially Lindsey B., and Trent Reznor, and how they could release albums (CD’s), that have ZERO sonics, just to make them LOUDER! And that goes for R. Plant, and “The Mothership”. I call it “The Mothers##t”.
So, who’s responsible for RUINING my “The Dance” by Fleetwood Mac?? Yes, I KNOW, the LP would be “sonically” perfect, because if they cranked the LP master up, the needle, would literally bounce off of the record!!! But not CD’s.😞 I had records, many worth a lot now, sold by my mom at her garage sale, along with my: Star-wars toys. And comic books. I just like the convenience of CD’s. Play at home, play in car, saved as FLAC files on my MacBook Pro. And no pops, warps, no static electricity issues, no, OMG! I scratched it!!! So, who’s fault is it? How could R. Plant have approved “The Mothers##t”? Glad I didn’t pay for it! Bummed. So many wonderful CD’s ruined....
Dear Psychranger,
                             Thank you for your post!! You may not believe this, but I went for a hearing test at my ear Dr., just to see what’s what. Unbelievably, he told me, “you can hear all the way up to 14 KHz! Very impressive!”  Someone your age shouldn’t be able to hear high frequencies that high at “your age”🙄. I’m 52. I’ve been very protective of my hearing, since, when I was a teenager, went to have a bang’n ALPINE stereo system put in my car, and the teenage installer had very bad hearing loss. That scared me. He has been partially deaf since about 18 y.o. That’s sad. Not from meds, or fever, but listening to LOUD music. Very sad. Permanent damage.  But I’m very upset these great albums (CD’s) have been victims of the “LOUDNESS WARS”. No transients, bad sonics. I will try to buy Japanese copies. Or, bite the bullet, and dive back into LP’s.
  My Japanese Led Zep CD’s have AWESOME sonics of my favorite drummer Bonham! It’s the crappy drum/cymbals on “The Joshua Tree”. Listen to the opening drums/cymbal crashes being so muted on “Where the Streets have no name”. No bright cymbal crash/no decay. Drums muted. Have three copies of this album, all sound the same. Honestly, the drums/cymbals sound better on the YouTube video of that song, that they filmed on the roof of I think, a liquor store in LA. Listen to the difference, see if I’m right. But Bonham on 1,2,3, are AWESOME!

God bless all!!
Speakermaster,
                         Good evening!! I have Led Zep.: 1-4 Japanese SHM-CD’s, as well as all the totally cool Japanese CD’s, that look like mini LP albums, Zep. 1 thru CODA, they sound great as well! But because of $$ limitations, I have the Bowers and Wilkins bookshelf sized speakers, with the aluminum nautilus tweeters, and yellow (Kevlar?) main drivers with the black buttons in the center, so, I’m not able to tell a difference between the SHM CD’s, and the “regular” Japanese CD’s. I think I’d need a HUGE upgrade to all my equipment to notice anything between them. 🙁 I’m just happy to FINALLY hear Sandy Denny’s(?) voice clearly on Zeppelin 4’th. album (CD).   I usually use my B&W P-7 headphones for critical listening, as I live in a townhome (neighbors). No: floor standing speakers, no sub’s. No: “Turn it up to 11!”. 😔  I did hear Elton John’s YBR CD thru a: Rotel CD player, Macintosh amp, and the brand new, at the time, B&W floor standing speakers with the diamond tweeters! WOW! It was as if Sir. E. John was standing 10 feet in front of me! Holographic! WOW! That was fun!! Amazing equipment!! All I need is: THAT system in my new big house (away from neighbors), and a Porsche 911 Turbo in the driveway, I’d be: “don’t need nothin else!”
Lowrider57,
                   Where do you go to purchase W. German CD’s? I know where to buy Japanese CD’s, but not ones from Germany. I’d LOVE to buy/re-buy those CD’s I love, that have been ruined by the: “Loudness Wars”. Especially Fleetwood Mac, and some others. I’m not opposed to buying uncompressed files of albums, but I like the tactile feeling of owning the “actual” CD, in its nice jewel-case. And being able to play It in my car as well. I have a high-end: ALPINE CD head unit, amps, and Focal speakers in my Honda.   Thank you in advance for telling me where to go to buy German CD’s. This is gonna put a dent in my wallet! But, you only live once! Why not?? Thank you!

David
And on a side note. Do any of you cherish a vintage audio piece of equipment?? I LOVE my SONY D-EJ1000 and D-EJ925 They both still work and look brand new, bought for $200.00 each, new in 1990? The BEST made Diskman’s SONY ever made. Both have optical line-outs. That’s pretty rare! And both are solid magnesium, the bodies are solid magnesium and aluminum, no plastic, except the blue background lit remotes. And so thin! I don’t listen to them very often, but they have a soft spot in my heart. Carefree HS days at the pool during summer, listening to: a lot of: Van Halen, Led Zep., Motley Crue, Pink Floyd, etc., on my Diskman.

Me too Lowrider. I just wish that the U2’s Joshua Tree album, I’m not joking, sounded as good, cymbal crashes/drum wise, as the YouTube official video of “The Streets have no name”.  Don’t understand that at all. Could a German CD copy of the CD album sound better?? Do you like U2? Thanks!
So, they have a 24K gold Mobile Fidelity copy, in “near mint” for $125.00. Ouch! And there is a German CD as well. A lot cheaper, obviously. My question is, it seems that, I believe CD318 saying it was mastered that way, to sound “muddy”. However, the official video, on YouTube, of “The streets have no name”, sounds SO much BETTER!! Crisp cymbals, drums. I do not know Disklogs return policy. I’d REALLY hate to drop $125.00 for the exact same sound as on my Ltd. Edt. Joshua Tree Box set CD. A large sum for “Muddy” cymbals and drums, all over again... 😞 Unless somebody here owns the 24K gold disk, and can assure me, the cymbals and drums sound GREAT! Nothing like the regular CD, or LP Album, for that matter. Both sound bad in the cymbals and drums dept. Except the official video’s BETTER sonics. Just damn...
And EVERYONE in the video, the people of all races, SO HAPPY!! No RIOTS! Just JOY and dancing!! No real issue for the police then... Our Country is not the same as it was in the early 90’s. 😢😢
WOW! 1500+ views! I’m humbled! Thanks all! And, as a final note, I’m gonna buy a Japanese pressed CD of: The Joshua Tree, in the faint hopes, I can actually HEAR a better sound then the sonics of the song: The Streets have no name, on YouTube! Pathetic. But true. Honestly, the sonics on Beatles: Sgt. Peppers CD sounds like a very recent recording, SERIOUSLY! What’s U2’s excuse?? Probably wasting my $$, but Amazon let’s you return ANYTHING! To the BASTARD RETARD WANKER that mastered this work of art, The Joshua Tree album: I HATE YOU!!!! I HATE YOU!!!! I SO HATE YOU!!! A 2 y.o. could have done a better job than YOU!!! YouTube DOES a BETTER job than YOU!! So glad I got fourth row seats to the first Joshua Tree Tour!! But they never released a live version of that album/tour. Would have sold GREAT! Hopefully, would have SOUNDED great!!?? Does the LP sound noticeably better?? I just thought to ask. If so, would you buy an original copy? Or, these 180 gram LP’s??? Or, does the LP sound as crappy as the CD?? I own three versions, all sound equally crappy.🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
God bless you all! God bless our Country! MAGA!!
Lowrider57, I bet you’ve got either a lead-sled, or a SWEET Harley or Indian! Anyways, how would I record the audio of the official video of: U2’s “The streets have no name”?? Only problem is the disk-jockey talking above the song about the AWESOMENESS of U2 pissing off the LA police by doing the video, and attracting 30K+ people to see the music video being done on the roof of a liquor store. I need a clean version. The drums sound SO good! As opposed to the CD recording. 🤬🤬🤬