question for nautilus 801 owners

The n801 tweeter can be brutaly honest and sound very brite and metalic. I know associated equipment makes a huge difference along with what recordings are being played. my question is to owners who have experienced the changes in their system as they have upgraded equipment... Have you heard the treble go from excessive brightness to a smoother and more relaxed and transparent presentation?

Just want to know if I will eventually get there and that the time and money is not wasted.. I dont have good speaker and interconnect cables from cd and phono but have nice ones from pre to power. Four mono blocks have stock cables and no line conditioning but sources are connected to ps audio p300. All power cords are stock.

Help on this will be greatly appreciated..Joel
cardiomaniac

Showing 1 response by tafka_steve

Three points.

1. I have made a lot of changes in my vinyl playback chain since getting the N801s, and each change has been starkly revealed. The most recent is the Walker Reference Phono Amp, Second Edition, and this has opened up and "naturalized" the treble to a striking degree.

2. Nevertheless, the tweeter has never been as well integrated and artifact-free as the seamless treble/midrange ESL panel balance of my InnerSound Eros. The tweeter sounds cleanest with top quality analog and gets smeared, "dirtier," and less complex with CD redbook.

3. The tweeter is padded down by 5 dB with resistors. It may be possible to work with the distributor to change the tweeter resistors to pad this down a dB or two further. Philip O'Hanlon had the distributor remove/bypass the attenuator resistors from his N801 because he wasn't getting enough treble in his very large listening room. Different strokes...go figure.