Question for First Sound Owners

I currently have a first sound deluxe mkII. I'm thinking of replacing my Jadis DA-8 amp. I recently tried a conrad johnson amp and they did not match. The sound was congested and lifeless. I have heard the CJ amp sounding good so I guess this is more of a matching issue. In this regard, i'd like to know what amps you guys are using so i can avoid purchasing something that will not match the FS. TIA.
eps

Showing 2 responses by bemopti123

I own a First Sound Paramount MKII Hotrod. It sound awesome with pretty much anything that I have had paired with it. In the latest inineration, I have it paired with a McCormack DNA 225. It sound incredibly fast, pacy and powerful.

Other amps I have paired the Preamp with:

Final Laboratories Music 5 battery powered amplifier.
Sharp EX-111 digital all in one, 20 watts of digital power.
Pair of Scott Dixon Monoblock Op chip amplifiers, modded by Parts Connexion (Chris Johnson fame) 40 watts.

The First Sound sound glorious with all. Of course, the right speakers do help.

PS: Have you wired the preamp directly to the wall, as Emmanuel recommended? Sometimes, sound compression or slowness have is associated with current limitations of the circuit you are using.
Find some dealers and make an appointment to have an audition with them. Take your preamp and see what goes and what does not. That is the only way you can find synergy.

Slipknot, I have heard from many people who have had the same FS combo, with a Berning. They said the same, that the sound was outstanding.