Question for cable/wire naysayers.....

For those who state that cables don't make a difference...... are you saying that all cables sound the same?  If not, what are you saying?   I've experimented with many different brands and materials and I can't possibly believe that those naysayers hear no differences.   And if the science says that the cables should sound the same, a simple experiment (listening!!!) should prove otherwise.  Or, are these naysayers not listening for changes in resolution, soundstaging/imaging, coherence.....and so on between cables?  Please elaborate on what you are NOT hearing and feel free to drop names.  What cables have you compared that didn't sound different?   I've just gotta know.  I'm floored every time I see a post or response in which cables are called snake oil or something comparable.  Please enlighten me......Thanks.
lcherepkai
 willemj
The scientist in me then asks first, have you equalized levels to within 0.2 dB (you need a volt meter for that), and second, did you do the listening double blind? If not, your experiences are just that: impressions rather than facts.

+1

Although double-blind is a pain and I've found single-blind (level-matched and without tells) to work just as well for informal tests and be quick and easy. Having been a participant in blind tests myself, I now totally ignore all subjective views, except on speakers by people with proven similar tastes. Thank goodness for those blind tests early in my hobby, otherwise I may have spent a ton of money unnecessarily forever chasing the silver bullet.
Interesting that some of the most active voices in this thread proclaim or insinuate they’re in the know, but have yet to directly include what the OP requested.
OP, I’ll give it a go. I use stock power cords and Blue Jeans cable interconnects and speaker wire. I hear amazing imaging, separation between notes of individuals (voice or instrument), highly resolved sounds, dynamics and very low noise floor. I’ve never tried upgraded cables (yet), so I can’t compare. I’ll be interested to note what I hear when I try them. My first experiment will be with power cords at a price of approximately $220 each.
I generally stay out of cable discussions because they typically go nowhere, but since the world may come to an end today, I’ll fan the flames...

Even the naysayers believe somewhat in the effect of cables, or they’d suggest the use of the throwaway interconnects that come with the cheap CD players from the 80’s rather than $30 or $40 interconnects of “sufficient quality”. The real question is, “Do expensive cables sound *better* (not different, but better) than cables of “sufficient quality”?”

The answer, I believe, can be found in a quote from one of my favorite movies, Bull Durham: “If you believe you're playing well because you're getting laid, or because you're not getting laid, or because you wear women's underwear, then you *are*! And you should know that!”
jssmith
willemj
The scientist in me then asks first, have you equalized levels to within 0.2 dB (you need a volt meter for that), and second, did you do the listening double blind? If not, your experiences are just that: impressions rather than facts.

+1

Although double-blind is a pain and I’ve found single-blind (level-matched and without tells) to work just as well for informal tests and be quick and easy. Having been a participant in blind tests myself, I now totally ignore all subjective views, except on speakers by people with proven similar tastes. Thank goodness for those blind tests early in my hobby, otherwise I may have spent a ton of money unnecessarily forever chasing the silver bullet.

>>>>What happens when there’s no noticeable difference between two things? What do you do then? Punt?