Question about Tone Controls + Equalizers

So I wanted to get opinions on Tone Controls.

I listen to all my music including LP's with Tone Controls defeated.

Why do I do that, you say? Because when I started on this journey I had the impression in my mind that in order to be an Audiophile, you have to listen to all music in it's purest form otherwise you are degrading the sound (I know, a very novice and naive mentality). 

So my first questions, do you all listen to LP's with tone controls on or off (if you have the capability in your system)?

My second question is about equalizers and in particular the Schiit Loki. If you have Tone Controls in your system, is adding a equalizer or tone control system useless or does it interfere whit your built in Tone Controls? Would you have defeat the Tone Controls on your own system in order to use the Loki or could they work with each other? I am not sure.

Do you all think a device like the Loki could possibly help fine tune your system sound? Is anyone using it in their own rig with LP playback?

That is what I would use it for, LP Playback, if I ever got the Loki or anything similar.

Thanks
128x128jay73
 + 1 for the Loki . I run a tube pre and a tube power amp . I mostly roll tubes for tone . Within that , I mostly roll power and rectifier tubes . I use the Loki less than when new . On a second amp that’s lower quality I would use the Loki always . I also have an old MXR 15 band analog for my retro system . It’s the same as the instrument version , but has a case and RCA connection instead of 1/4”. But like stated above , it’s ancient , although effective. I run it through the tape monitor out/in on a Sansui 9090 with JBL 4312’s. I wouldn’t consider it for a purist system . But even with its 4 band limits , the Loki is a neat little piece . Also consider the the additional IC’s that will be needed . My IC’s like most , will cost more than the Loki . You might consider a different cartridge for your TT ,also recapping an old amp usually yields good results too . But in the end it’s your ears and your money . Happy listening , Mike B. 
I got my first preamp without tone controls back the late 70s. I've not looked back. The trick was getting all the components to that minimum level of competency that no tone controls were needed.

I do miss the bass on some recordings such as Everest (there was a EQ error in their tape machines which was later discovered by Mercury when they purchased the Everest recorders) and Westminsters. But its never been enough to cause me to want tone controls. I like the simplicity of the signal path; in my system from the low output moving coil cartridge to the loudspeakers there's only 4 stages of gain- the additional transparency from such a simple signal path is easily heard and not subtle.

I have tried room correction systems but what I discovered is that if you have a standing wave in the room in the bass region no amount of added power at that frequency will correct it! I prefer a distributed bass array to solve that issue; I found that by removing the room correction the system was instantly more transparent. For the mids and highs I work to make sure my room is right. It does help to take some measurements! But I don't go overboard- my model for a stereo is that the system has the ability to move my room through space and time to the actual musical performance which is grafted onto the front of my listening area.
I've been into Audio for many years myself, alot  factors affect Audio listening experience, from room configurations, carpet, wood floors, Loud speakers, components, signal listening sources, forget what the Purists and Nay sayers preach, adjustments are always need for our listening experience to suit our tastes and make more life like , I myself like others do here constantly "rotate" gear in and out, I use NAD 1600 with a mono switch to help with adjustments, also an Audio Control Graphic C-101 Equalizer my system also consists of an Adcom GFA 555ii, Cerwin Vega Dx9s, Klipsch Chorus ii, I always begin listening with tone controlls defeated, then if needed add the EQ, adjust the curve in MONO mode , then place back in stereo mode and listen again, and make any necessary adjustments with the Treble and Bass controls and use the the Loudness and Bass EQ switches as needed, without these adjustments in the signal path listening experiences would be pretty bland.