Question about speaker angle

I've always been under the impression that your front main speakers should be angled so that the "face" of the speaker is basically perpendicular with the listener's face when viewing the speakers from the sweet spot. I do however see others placing the speakers parallel or inline with the surface of the wall behind the speakers. I'm wondering, how much loss to the sonic sound stage this creates.

waxensens

Magnepan recommends very very little toe-in, extremely dependent on design and room. But best place to start is again, owners manual. You think they write those things for their health?

As others have said, entirely depends on the speaker. But keep in mind in order to get a sound stage, or a wider sound stage… Sometimes you have to reduce the tow in. I had such Cornwallis before I had Harbeths, and the Harbeths are totally different animal. I had them towed in as you described, and I was getting booming bass, and virtually no sound stage. I reread the manual again, and discovered that in fact they are supposed to have very little tow in. And sure enough, in flattening them out , they totally blossomed. Experiment! Your ears will give you the answer.

I start with Harry Pearson's Rule of Thirds when setting up speakers;

Divide room width by 1/3, divide room length by 1/3,

Put speakers where the 1/3 width/length points intersect,

Speakers firing straight ahead.

Works perfectly 9/10 with direct radiators, dipoles, bipoles etc.

Even pesky omnis.

😄