Question About Capacitor Upgrade in Tube Amp

Hi,

I am preparing to do a coupling capacitor upgrade on a recently purchased tube integrated amp. The two 0.22uF on the preamp tubes are fairly straight forward. But I noticed another similar model 0.33uF cap on the large filter capacitor for the B+ supply that is installed across the hot lead to ground.

Does this cap on the B+ just block high frequency noise from the power supply or does it have any effect on the amp tone? Is there any reason to "upgrade" this cap?

I know it may be hard to tell exactly what is going on without a schematic.

Also any recommendations on a good cap to use in the upgrade of the coupling caps? I was looking at Mundorf SilverGoldOil for the quality at not too crazy a price. The amp already sounds good but lacks a little clarity that I think a coupling cap swap will help with. It is SET 300B amp.

Thank you!

calieng

Vcap CuTf are great for 300B SET - clean, clear, transparent, fast, soundstage not harsh at all.

Duelund Custom are excellent too - great tone harmonics, soundstage, a little bit slow and full bass.

Bu I think these two options are too expansive for such not expansive amplifier.

Does anyone compared directly:

1. Vcap CuTf vs Mundorf Supreme Silver Gold Oil?

2. Duelund Custom Cu vs Cu-Sn versions?

Yes given the cost of the map I did not want to spend too much on the upgrade but honestly I do not think it could sound any better. Bass, middle, and treble are all clear and in balance with each other. 

I am sure all the other caps recommended would have made a significant improvement as well. Maybe with just slight variations in bass or treble response. But the difference from the original cheap factory caps was much more than I had expected.

On SET amps the key here is not just Caps, resistors and etc but the trannies are the keys elements which will make the amps sound best.   To me it doesn’t make sense to put a $500 caps ( duelund)  on a $1k amp, You are not going take or make that amps sound like a $10k amp. Yes improvement, for sure there would improve compare to the original parts but to what extent, cost and time?  So to summarize it up i personally would not spend so much on caps upgrade unless i know what trannies that are fitted on the unit.  

Alex 

Does anyone compared directly:

1. Vcap CuTf vs Mundorf Supreme Silver Gold Oil?

Vcap Cutf is in the class by itself if untilizing in electronics application. If you are using it for speakers then the Mundorf SGO is a much better cap on speakers. 

i personally would not spend so much on caps upgrade unless i know what trannies that are fitted on the unit.  

The amp comes out of the same factory a Cayin and PrimaLuna. I have seen it reported that there is some amount of sharing of parts. The transformers are indeed decent.

For the Muzishare amps they are made in the Line Magnetic factory. And once again some comments online and photos indicating identical components being used.

Electrolytics are Nichicon so just for the Willsenton they cheaped out on the coupling capacitors.