Question about Burr Brown DACs

I am a bit confused about the different Burr Brown DACs and how they relate to the overall sound of a player. Currently the Burr Brown 1790 seems to be in use in many universal units like the Denon 2900 and 5900. In Stereophile's recent review of the Musical Fidelity DAC it mentioned that it used the latest Burr Brown DAC - the 1792. I took a quick look at the Burr Brown website and they make mention of a new generation chip - the 1796.

So my question is...

Is the newer DAC an indication of potentially "better sound"? In other words does a 1792 DAC make a 1790 sonically obsolete and likewise does the new 1796 make the 1792 yesterday's news? Would an upcoming stock unit with a 1796 make a modded unit based around a 1792 DAC sound ancient?

If the 1796 is going to be a sonic improvement over the 1790 I would assume it will start cropping up in new players. I am currently using a CEC transport and Audiomeca Enkiathus DAC but I am interested in migrating over to a universal player (perhaps a modified unit like the Exemplar Denon 2900 or the Goldmund Eidos 18) but I'm not in a rush...I'm getting great sounds but I always want better.

Are significantly better sounding units on the horizon?
lasercd

Showing 1 response by bigstinkingfish673c

The awful truth is that pretty much everything here is a compromise, 'cause every company who's trying to make a living from what they do has to do it at an overall profit. For this question, that may not necessarily mean that each successively higher numbered chip is more sonically wonderful. Each is designed/manufactured to a price point - features for a price (that's also where the yield, etc. come into the equation). The '92 or '96 chip may or may not be improvements that you can hear at all - they may be manufacturing gains (more-chips-for-less) or packaging (chipset) gains - in profit.

Slappy may or may not be at risk for a big snack - we all probably won't know unless a B-B engineer spills the beans. And even if B-B did gain performance with the higher numbers, as Audioengr & Bombaywalla accurately point out there may not be an improvement to you if the overall system solution isn't better. You can easily bury the best of chips w/ lousy boards and/or support chipsets.