Quantum QRT QX4

Anyone wondering whats inside one of these for the almost $3000 Nordost is asking for them? Well I owned one and took it apart, and let me tell you I was shocked!! I have never seen cheaper parts and crappy little PCB than this. I think a total of about $20 was spent on the electronics, and I am being generous. The case is by far more expensive to make. They spent more effort into making the case heavy and out of billet and extruded aluminum to give it the appearance of high end and so they could somewhat justify the price tag. It is utterly shameful what Nordost has pulled on its consumers. Thats why they have the protective sealing sticker on the chassis so no one opens it up and voids the warranty. I bought mine directly from a dealer when the Nordost rep came for a demo.
The board looked like it was a factory R&D project. Scratches all over it, a cover on the board was removed at one point leaving behind the trace of it in the left over glue. I was fuming after I opened it and witnessed the biggest ripp off in audio history. I had a Symphony Pro years ago and it blew this piece of crap out the rack.
Needless to say, even though it did provide some enhancement, I no longer have it. But before I did get rid of it I happen to make a schematic and take plenty of pictures, even built one with much needed improvements.;)
The very robust case was actually heavily softening the effect and the one inch thick sides were directing some of the energy vertically. Anyway my new version of this guy has been a huge improvement to say the least, it has 6 times the power of the QX4. Thanks Nordost ;)
dcizmok

Showing 4 responses by polk432

I got mine new thru a dealer and the very next day (Thanksgiving Day) there was a used QB8 for 650.00 on here.
I have a QB4 distribution box and it works very well. I don't know about the others.
It can't be a QB4 @ 3K. They are 1399.00 for the QB8 and 849.00 for the QB4. I was lucky to find a QB4 for 600.00 You plug in the preamp to the Primary Earth and the QB4 box into the wall or dedicated line and the unit works just fine. The QX boxes are the costlier ones.
Deizmok, no the QB4 did not blow me away, it does work fine though. You paid 2400.00 for a QX4? How lame can you be?