Quads 57 -

Ok. So let me start out by saying I am not in search for the worlds best speakers or the perfect setup.

I just want something that will make music to my ears and make my little toes tap with joys.My amp of choice is the Ayon Spirit III
My music is 80% Jazz, 10% Female vocals, 10% rock et. al. (paul simon/arlo guthrie, dylan eagles). My source is mostly Vinyl.
I currently have a B&W CM7 that I don't like much. Music sounds good, but no soul. Room size is 10 ft x 11 ft.
I top out at $4K on budget (and that's pushing it).
I am fairly close to pulling the trigger on a brand new refurbished 57 from Quads Unlimited.
So I guess what I am asking here is, if you have ever owned a 57, do you still have it? If not, how soon did you move on & why?
jarraa

Showing 2 responses by br3098

Jarraa, heed the comments above. Also, you you going to find it challenging to place Quad ESL speakers in a 10 x 11 room - a room of that size is challenging for any speaker.

The Spendors that Stanwal mentioned are an excellent idea. Also, have you considered a pair of Audio Note Ks or Js?

If you want to test on a budget there are a lot of vintage speakers that will also work well: I would mention the Klipsch KG4 or Heresy and Snell Ks or Js (precursors to the Audio Note speakers). The ubiquitous Spica TC-50 is also a great vintage speaker for small rooms.
Kentaja, I have to agree with Stan on this one, from direct experience.

>>While there are many fine speaker mentioned in this thread none of them are in the same league as the Quad. The Quad is a legend and for good reason.

Agreed. I was not trying to suggest that any of the speakers I listed sound like a Quad. They don't. But all of them are better choices for this room geometry, IMHO.

>>Your room is small but either Quad will perform well if you pay careful attention to set-up. I have installed many Quads in rooms of this size with excellent results.

Agreed again. But just because it CAN be done does not mean that it SHOULD be done. A 10x11 room is problematic enough in and of itself, without the added complexity of finicky dipole placement/seating issues.