Quad 989s--personal experience and opinions?

I'm seriously considering the 989s for my 2-channel-audio/multichannel-audio/home-theater system (for the fronts only). Currently I'm running 4 Kindel PLS-As, a design from the late '80s that are tall, sensitive (94dB), and definitely full range. They're driven by a c-j Premier Eleven-A (70wpc, tubed). I've owned planar speakers in decades past, both electrostatics and magnetics, and loved the spaciousness and especially depth of sounstage they produce. I've listened briefly to the 989s and will lots more before I commit to them, but I'd love to hear from A'gonists with personal experience with them, both good and bad. Generally, I’m an unabashed Romantic, loving the big-orchestra classical and film music from 19th and later centuries--and Diana Krall and the old Dave Brubeck Quartet, among others, too. My room is c. 21' wide, 19' deep, and 6-1/2 to 12' high, with few parallel surfaces.

I've read many reviews* of them. If I understand what I'm reading, the 989's deviations from perfection probably include: 1. Bass not extending all the way into the bottom of the bottom octave--which, of course, includes merely 99% of the speakers out there; 2. Inability to play as loudly as some want them to, altho a couple reviewers said their ears gave up before the speakers did; 3. Fussiness about setup, which, of course, makes them similar to all bipolar radiators; and 4. Slight beaminess of treble. Its skills are many and I won’t go into my impressions.

So...owners...what do you love and not love about them? Cautions for me?

* the most curious being a comment from a fellow in one of those consumer-review sites who 3 times said they had too much bass!
128x128jeffreybehr

Showing 1 response by px25

Jeffrey, we are currently audiotioning a pair of Quad 989s in the store I work at and they are awesome. In terms of tonal balance, transparency, transient response, and midrange, these speakers are on par with the best available. Bass is actually quite good, in fact much better than I was expecting. Set up properly, you should get usable output into the mid thirties. The lowest octive is missing, but what is present is extremely good in terms of tonality and non-box colorations. Dipoles do low bass, but do not have nearly as much output in the lower octaves as conventional dynamic speakers. They are not the loudest or most dynamic speakers, but they have performed well with Tool, the Stones, and a few other kinds of music we thought they would fall apart on. All in all, they are spectacular speakers, the kind that will make you forget about gear and motivate you to buy more software instead. From everything you have described, these speakers should work well for you.