Quad 989 repair - California

Does anyone know if I can have my quad 989 repaired in California, Nevada or Arizona?

I had a pair of Quad 989s shipped from England to Palm Springs a couple of months ago. One of the 989s was fizzing and ticking on arrival.

Insurance has refused to pay out on a nice little get out clause (we won't pay for internal damage unless external damage is also evident). This means shipping the speaker to QSandD is NOT an option (they want $750 for shipping alone, not including repair). I could I'm sure find cheaper shipping options but the possibility of more shipping damage concerns me. So I'm looking for somewhere within driving distance of Palm Springs I can take the 989.

I spoke to True Sound in Northern California and they told me to sell the 989s as they are. Is finding someone to repair my 989 really going to be that difficult? If so then True Sound are probably correct, they aren't worth keeping.
growly

Showing 1 response by rottenclam

Interesting that Nick at True Sound advised you to sell them. I was in his store / shop about 6 years ago, and he had some Quad 63 ESLs on his bench that he was repairing. Perhaps he is not messing with Quads anymore.

Try user 'Kentaja' from Electrostatic Solutions. He is out of Kansas (so shipping would be expensive), but he may be your guy. You may just be out of luck when it comes to a California Quad tech.