Quad 989 repair - California

Does anyone know if I can have my quad 989 repaired in California, Nevada or Arizona?

I had a pair of Quad 989s shipped from England to Palm Springs a couple of months ago. One of the 989s was fizzing and ticking on arrival.

Insurance has refused to pay out on a nice little get out clause (we won't pay for internal damage unless external damage is also evident). This means shipping the speaker to QSandD is NOT an option (they want $750 for shipping alone, not including repair). I could I'm sure find cheaper shipping options but the possibility of more shipping damage concerns me. So I'm looking for somewhere within driving distance of Palm Springs I can take the 989.

I spoke to True Sound in Northern California and they told me to sell the 989s as they are. Is finding someone to repair my 989 really going to be that difficult? If so then True Sound are probably correct, they aren't worth keeping.
growly

Showing 1 response by johnsonwu

FIzzing and ticking upon power on may not be the dreaded panel arcing problem.
It may be as simple as that 220uF Lytic right @ the input that needs a replacement. Lytics do fail over time. Mine did.
Re-doing the panels of course involve expert workmanship and knowleddge. Replacing that cap is a 2 minute job for anyone good with a soldering iron.
Ask around and see if you can get a technician who knows the basics of electronics and spend $10 on that bipolar lytic... (Mundorf ad Madisound or ebay)