Quad 988 versus Quad 2805

I am soliciting opinions from owners of both speakers, or individuals that have heard both in the SAME system. The newer version obviously looks more rigid and, in my view, more attractive. However, the difference in price between a used 988 and a new 2805 is very significant. For those who are familiar with both, what, if any, sonically significcant differences exist?
gmuffley

Showing 1 response by casouza

The ELS 63 and its variants have wide dispersion (point-source belay-line design) therefore a wider listening "window" and a slight tendency to "shout" in the midrange.
On the other hand, the ELS 57 has a narrow sweet spot for listening, but Ohmygod, it sounds SOOOO sweet. I agree that it has the cleanest midrange and upper bass I have ever heard.
Deep bass and high treble are subdued, but I do not mind given the magic midrange and upper bass.
Back in the 7os, Mark Levinson (the designer, not the brand) adressed the frequency-response issues with his HQD system: stacked Quads, a large Hartley sub-woofer and Decca ribbon tweeters.
A friend of mine assembled a pair. I believe he has had the same speakers for the past 20 years, he is VERY happy and I am VERY envious.
Anyway, if you can not or do not want to baby-sit ELS-57s, the 988 is a great speaker and has about 70% of the 57 magic. I have not heard the latest Quads.
I hope this helps