Quad 988 in 15' x 12' room

how well will a pair of Quad 988s function in my 15' wide by 12' deep listening room? the speakers would be about 3' from the rear wall, about 3' from the side walls, and about 6' from my listening position. these speakers would be about 7' apart, and set up along the 15' wall. they would be powered by the McIntosh 402 power amp, McIntosh C2200 pre amp and a Musical Fidelity Tri Vista SACD player would be the source. FYI - i don't normally listen at very loud levels.

any assistance in this matter would be very much appreciated!
skuras

Showing 2 responses by jeffreybehr

Sounds to me as if your room is big enough and the 988s will be far enough from the walls. Based on everything I've read about them and my experience with my 989s, you could move them closer to the side walls.
My room is 21' wide and 19' deep, with a ceiling rising from 6-1/2' high in front to c. 12' at its peak a couple feet short of the back wall. My 989s' panel centers are c. 6-1/2 feet from the front wall; their outside edges are about 4' from the irregular side walls. I sit with my head about 10' from the centerline of the speakers, and they're about 9-1/2' apart center-to-center...about 7' inside edge to inside edge They are toed toward the listener slightly but 'cross' far behind me.

I had to experiment more with getting them farther from the front wall than anything else. Every time I moved them farther off the front wall, the soundstage got deeper. I now get soundstaging and imaging better than I've ever heard anywhere (but I don't get around much to hear other fine-sounding systems*). Playing my absolute-fave Boult/Holst Planets, the tamborine and xylophone sound as if they're about 50' behind the speakers.

I bought an Eminent Technology LFT-12 centerchannel speaker to replace my much-loved, modified Aerial CC3B. I installed it yesterday and began comparing its sound to that of no centerchannel speaker at all...what some call phantom-center. I thought my system IN TWO-CHANNEL placed sounds in the middle relatively well, that is, instruments and voices that I thought should be in the left-to-right center of the image were well focused in the center, not too big, not too small, etc. It's SO good that using my 5.1-channel system with phantom center sounds BETTER (with a couple movies, anyway) than using any centerchannel speaker.

So the 989s sound GREAT, at least to me and my golden-eared goodbuddy.

Let me know if you have other questions.

* I get around so little, I've never heard any system sound better overall than mine is currently sounding.