Quad 2905 midrange balance question

I used to own ESL 63's with a full Crosby mod, and I found the experience of listening to be be quite a bit different than dynamic speakers at the time.

I recently got a chance to hear the new Quad 2905, which I thought were excellent and a nice improvement over what I was used with the 63's.

I used Patricia Barber's Companion CD as a demo cut.

After going home and listening to my dynamic speaker based system, I noticed that the vocals seemed to be much more present and noticable on the Quads compared to my speakers (where the other frequencey extremes were quite a but more pronounced than the quads.

I am using H-cat as a preamp (which is known to take 10 foot wide vocals and reduce them to a more clearly defined center image)

So my question is this, has anyone who has compared the 2905 to other speakers noticed a not only a qualitative difference in the midrange (as would be expected) but a quantitiative one as well (meaning vocals were just louder and more upfront)
emailists

Showing 1 response by shadorne

I have not made a direct comparison. Dynamic speakers tend to present an impressive often boosted bass and boosted treble. This clearly sells in competitive demos with most folks (sounds more detailed to an untrained ear but will end up being fatiguing in the long term). So your finding seems consistent with what sells best in dynamic speakers. After all dynamic acoustic suspensions were invented for their stronger bass. For example, given an amp with bass and treble contour controls, most people will increase the bass and treble slightly rather than the other way round.

What is correct is for you to decide.