Quad 2905 midrange balance question

I used to own ESL 63's with a full Crosby mod, and I found the experience of listening to be be quite a bit different than dynamic speakers at the time.

I recently got a chance to hear the new Quad 2905, which I thought were excellent and a nice improvement over what I was used with the 63's.

I used Patricia Barber's Companion CD as a demo cut.

After going home and listening to my dynamic speaker based system, I noticed that the vocals seemed to be much more present and noticable on the Quads compared to my speakers (where the other frequencey extremes were quite a but more pronounced than the quads.

I am using H-cat as a preamp (which is known to take 10 foot wide vocals and reduce them to a more clearly defined center image)

So my question is this, has anyone who has compared the 2905 to other speakers noticed a not only a qualitative difference in the midrange (as would be expected) but a quantitiative one as well (meaning vocals were just louder and more upfront)
emailists

Showing 1 response by emailists

Interesting about the reliabilty issues. That is exactly why I sold the 63's in the first place. The Panels one by one needed replacement and I didn't feel like doing all of them, though they were an older pair.

I am now thinking of going the MBL route - since stat fans seem to like MBL and even some Soundlab folks (I love Soundlabs) have gone to MBL. I just dont have the room for large panels at this time, otherwise I'd own Soundlabs or Quads.

I even have the perfect amp for either of them- brand new Atma-sphere MA1's. (actually owning Quads is what got me into OTL's many years ago)

Oh well. I can dream of getting 'stats and a big apartment one day.