Quad 2805 reliablity? Distance from wall needed?

I've heard Quads and enjoyed them but I keep
reading about their reliability problems in both
private and public postings (even in reviews).
I hear about blown panels, etc.
So what't the real story (primarily with the current 2805)?
(I used to have Apogees long ago that proved to be a nightmare with one ribbon woofer that could not be repaired after 3 trips back to their repair facility at the time. A shame because I loved the tonality and
fatigue-free listening.)
And one more question about the 2805s, I keep reading that they need to be far from the wall behind them. My Apogees were fine 2-feet from the wall, so can Quads perform without any fatal flaws at this distance?
Thanks in advance for anyone who cares to answer.
rgs92

Showing 1 response by tricon_dave

I have owned my 2805's for about 3 years without any reliability problems at all. But after reading some of the posts here, on AA, and other sources about the reliability issues with the new Quads I got concerned and called the importer and QS&D (who are the only CERTIFIED Quad repair facility in the US). I got the same explanation from both sources.

There are no reliability issues with the new Quads. They are just as reliable, if not more, than the 63's. The typicaly problem is, as others have mentioned, listeners just turn them up too loud or they use over powered or under power amps with them.

One of the problems for people who go from dynamic driver speakers to the Quads is that they turn the Quads up too loud because they are expecting to hear a level of distortion that you just don't ever get with Quads. Turning them up too loud causes them to be overdriven which activates a "clamping circuit" and shuts down or reduces output of the speaker. Over time, overdriving them can cause pin holes in the panels and this eventually results in the panels failing or tearing.

If you understand the limitations of Quads and drive them with an appropriate amp, there are no reliability issues and you'll get many years of enjoyment from them. They are the best sounding speaker I have ever owned and will be long term keepers. I have actually found that I listen at lower levels with Quads than any previous speaker, because you hear all the musical detail even at low levels. I typically listen at 80db, as measured at my listening seat. With previous speakers I listened louder to get the same experience of the music.

Regarding distance from the front wall, the importer said they can be as close as 3 feet but your room and listening preferences will determine best placement. Mine are about 4 feet out and they sound very balanced, and I sit about 9 feet from the front of each speaker.

Dave