QRP pressing of "Tea for the Tillerman"

Got this first thing this morning and have a couple of spins through on it. This is simply INCREDIBLE! If this is what we have to look forward to from Chad and QRP, it's going to be a fantastic ride!

Probably the cleanest, quietest and most dynamic record I have heard. Hugh soundstage. I have several different copies of this LP and there are things I have never heard on this pressing.

Even if you don't like Cat Stevens, buy this to hear how records can and should be done...
128x128mofimadness

Showing 3 responses by td160

I received my "Tea" yesterday via FedEx.
A perfect record.
photos of it at the link:
http://www.theanalogdept.com/qrp.htm

Like every other post I've read, my copy is super quiet. Every note, clean, pristine. As Mike notes, "vivid".

This might be a perfect record. I'm not sure I've seen/heard a perfect record before. there's always some little thing wrong. Off center label, mild warp, a little bit of crackle in one spot,....something. But not this one. A perfect re-master. A perfect pressing.

Well I don't know, maybe if I keep looking, I'll find something that isn't quite perfect. I just haven't found it yet. ;-)

-Steve
It's not dead.
Usually, I'd prefer to just enjoy the music. But with this one I want to make comparisons just to define the differences between this re-master and my original tan label A&M copy from 1970.

The QRP has superb articulation and definition of all detail. The A&M is good that way too, but not with the same silky black background....or quite the same sharpness of articulation. If 'sharp' is the right word.

So far I have listened to this on a TD124, twice. The TD124 normally produces a natural, organic presentation of its music. I haven't determined if the rig isn't sounding slightly analytical on this record or not. I'll have to make an a/b comparison to decide that much. Even if so, it is a very enjoyable listen. Tons and tons of ambience.

Both the A&M and QRP have great amounts of dynamic swing. Perhaps the A&M has a slightly more authoritative low frequency. It's almost like the difference between UK and US records during the 60's.

I'll probably listen again this weekend and try to determine more. At least that will put my mind to rest on the issue.

One more thing.
I weighed the record on a postal scale that I use for shipping. The bare record weighs 6.5 ounces. That converts to 184.2 grams. The record is advertised at Acoustic Sounds as being 200 grams. My copy is less than that. For whatever that's worth.

-Steve
"I am surprised at the level of excitement for this release of "Tea for the Tillerman". I was a fan of it in my teens, but heard it again a few years ago, and unlike many other old favorites, it sounded very dated."

then:

"I would understand this "hype" when it would be an album like a RCA Living Stereo which is impossible to get below 500 USD (CR made that and got all the hate of the professional record dealers), but Cat Stevens?"

-----------------

For the record, I'm largely in agreement with the above two opinions. Tea for the Tillerman is well known to be an excellent sounding record, whether it be the Island or the A&M pressing. Perhaps that is why Analogue Productions/Quality Record Pressing chose this title to remaster; ie: they knew absolutely that they could get a good sounding record, and one that could show-case their new record pressing facility.

So far the online response suggests that all pressings received to date have been excellent and likely better in both pressing quality and sonic quality when compared to any original.

My first thought when I heard that this Lp was going to be re-mastered was; "why?", when the originals are plentiful, cheaply found and they sound beautiful.

I disagree with the first quote from Roxy54 when he says the album sounds 'dated' to him.

I think that the message found in these lyrics can't possibly become dated. Why? Because the subject matter is timeless and as old as is the human race itself. Mainly the content ranges from dialogs between a father and his almost grown son (two songs; But I might Die Tonight, and Father and Son) and also to the search for something more in life than the here and now.

Knowing what we now know about Cat Stevens (his stage name)we know what choices he eventually made....(but had not made at the time of that album). And we know that discussions about -that- will likely take us off topic for this forum.

The second respondent, Syntax also brings up some useful topic. When will QRP and Analogue Productions use their obvious skills at remastering some rare and hard to find classical titles! I would only hope that this new operation does in fact work to that end.

As to the musical value that exists within the Lp, Tea for the Tillerman, I can only suggest that that must lie within the judgment of the individual listener.

Myself, while I do find that I can over play this Lp, that it is a valued title in my collection and that I am grateful to have found a better sounding copy.

Amazing. It betters the sound quality of those already excellent sounding A&M's out there.

-Steve