Pushing the envelope on B&W 802 series3

Category: Speakers

Bought a pair of B&W matrix 802 series 3 a few months ago thru Audiogon. Upgraded from Polk monitor 10B. Using B&K EX 442 amp 200w/pc dual mono. Audio research LS-7 all tube Preamp. EAD transportT7000. I love them wanted this speaker for years. Any one else out there with 802 or 801 that has a good set up tell me about your experiences. I dont have the funds now for big upgrades. There isnt much more I can do except cables. I'm working on it. Thanks.
128x128poloman

Showing 5 responses by poloman

Negotiating now with a friend for a pair of B&K M200 monoblocks, Im sure those will help. Also funds permitting would like to send out to Musical Concepts for modifications. Either the Signature or the Platinum mod if I could afford it. That should do wonders for sound staging. Stay tuned.
Okay, Sold my B&K EX442, right here on Audiogon and upgraded to an older Classe DR-25,250/wpc, much more transparent and greater imaging and impact.
I just had the crossovers upgraded. they are ready to be picked up. when I get them home and broken in I will update this thread with a list of parts. And my listening impressions. All the caps were replaced and the boards re glued and fastened better to the cabinet. Stay tuned.
Have the stands, got them with the speakers, thanks. Trying different cables now. we'll see. With a good recording the sound is heaven, not bright just right , great sound stage. Try "The Hunter" by Jennifer Warnes. Great vocal recording, used by Stereophile reviewers for years.
Upgraded to Tara Labs RSC Prime 1000 15' Bi-wire cable. spades on the amp end bananas on the speaker end. Also re tubed the Audio Research LS-7 preamp with new Sovtek 6922 tubes. It's grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat. Very Happy. The system will be featured in the Dec. issue of Audio/Video interiors magazine. Stay tuned, Poloman.