Purpose of using same speakers for surround?

So, I'm wondering why I've heard it is best to have 4 identical speakers for fronts and surrounds? Since the rear (or surround) speakers are only giving out a limited amount of information to fill in details, I see no real reason that any reasonably competent speaker that reproduces down to 80hz wouldn't be just as effective?

In my case, I have been using matched Mirages across the front, with a pair of Pardigms for the rear. I keep thinking about wanting to get another set of Mirages for the rear, but unless there would be some marked improvement, I don't see the point?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
baxter178

Showing 6 responses by baxter178

If there are any members that would share with me the appropriate model #'s in the "M" series I should be looking for, it would be helpful :)
Thanks
Interesting thoughts all, and perhaps my topic was a tad too broad?

I can now see a definite merit for same speakers if I were listening to classical music via MCH SACD... I am not. Clearly this would be ideal for those that do.

For me, I listen to various forms of music including rock, modern jazz, pop, and r&b among others, which I run through 2 channel via an AH! cd player.

I also like concert videos, and movies in 5.1, via DTV(HD), or a Panny Bluray.

My modest system includes a Rotel 1077, NAD T175, Mirage M7si - MC2 - PS10, and early Paradigm's for the rear.

I'm not talking about a major investment in picking up another set of M7sis, but for those of us with similar listening habits, do you feel the change would make a significant improvement, or not worth the effort?

OK... so I'm using M7's up front. I can pick up another set of M7's for the rear. Per your recommendations, this solves my 5.1 dilemma, but there is no way I'd be adding a 3rd set for 7.1 LOL! It's a good size room, but not THAT big, and the wifey would probably pull the trigger if I tried having 6 of those towers in my bedroom!!! Guess I'll be with 5.1 for quite a while, but that's my mo anyway. The closest I ever get to new is new old stock :)
BTW, is there even 7.1 material out now?
Vicdamone,

I'll do a little research and try to find out what the bookshelf size speakers from that family were. Obviously the speakers are older and harder to find, but that can work out in a huge price discount too (small budget).

That (using M series bookshelf speakers) was my original plan, but one keeps reading about same speakers all around for best sound (yes that's hard with towers), hence my post.

I honestly love what I have, since moving a Proceed amp3 to a stereo setup and adding a Rotel 1077, the Mirages came alive, not in an obnoxious brighter way, just much more detailed and open which I didn't expect with the amp3 being a nice piece to start with. Then replacing an old Yamaha receiver (used as a pre) with an NAD T175, and holy &^(-... I've seen the light of day!

One thing I have learned from the knowledge of the people on this site, is that it isn't the name on the pieces, but how the pieces you have work together. After years of wanting and waiting, I'm pretty damned happy right now :)

Now, if I can tweak it up just a bit more for minimal cost, by matching the rears, and possibly going to 7.1 I'll be good for a while.
So I emailed Mirage and got this for a reply:

"The original and former Mirage M Series models would have been engineered and designed from the former Canadian based Audio Products International (API) group which ceased to exist in or around 2006. Klipsch Group, Inc. USA acquired Energy, Mirage, Athena brands including all remaining replacement parts and limited product data for some of the older models (I have included some of the older PDF copies of any information I could still find for the older M7si and MC-2 models. There is no specific manual available for the former MC-2)."
"I am very sorry we would not be able to make any further recommendations to accommodate the expansion of your system using these older model speakers."

They say they can not offer any recommendations for the older speakers... I know there are members that claim to have sold Mirage in the past, perhaps one of you could help me out with model #'s that would timbre match my fronts?

Thanks
Avgoround,

Considering that I am extremely happy with my front 3 speakers (and how they perform with my other equipment), I don't believe I would be throwing some "gear" together by going with bookshelf speakers for the rear, so long as they have the same drivers as the fronts. This would give me a timbre match, or am I wrong here?

If I am incorrect in this understanding, please let me know. I do not profess to being up to date or overly indulged in electronics... that's why I come here to ask you guys that are more involved.

Also remembering that on 12-17 I posted this comment:

"I can now see a definite merit for same speakers if I were listening to classical music via MCH SACD... I am not. Clearly this would be ideal for those that do."

Thus, I believe the bookshelf speakers from the "M" series with the same drivers would achieve my goal. If I am incorrect in my assumption here guys, again, please let me know!

So, unless I get responses informing me I am wrong, and need the larger M7si for the rear (considering my use), what I really need is someone that knows the Mirage "M" series well enough to recommend a suitable bookshelf speaker from that series, so I can begin my search.