Purist or Kubala-which to buy for entire system

I am finally pretty darn happy with my system. It consists of Epiphany 12/12 speakers, modded Dodd 120's, and APL 3910, with latest Sound Applications Linestage. I have lots more eq, but, I am trying to simplify. I may end up using a Pre-amp, but I am not sure yet. I do have Dodd Reference Modded, and Modwright modded. Now, my quandry lays here. I am presently using Xindak gold 3 meter interconnects(1 amp on each stand, 8 feet apart). Speaker cable I am using bested Virtual Dynamic Revelation in my system, it is no name, as of yet, but the wire is used to seal Nuclear waste, and sounds amazing. My power cords are Purist Dominus on Sound Applications, Electragide Ultra Khan RR on APL, and stock on my amps.

I have an opportunity to get "a deal" on the latest Kubala Sosna Emotion, and/or Purist line of cables. For the price I can get it for, I cannot audition.

I would also appreciate opinions on whether I should put my amps together, and get longer speaker wire, or longer interconnects.

I have been told by Rick Schultz(VD)and others that the only real way to get the BEST synergy is using same brand cable thu-out system. I just dunno, and in commiting well over 5K to cables alone....I would like some assistance.

Thanks in advance, and best of luck in your journey

Steve
711smilin

Showing 16 responses by 711smilin

Rcprince, thanks for the direction, I read the JAFox thread, and actually talked to a couple people with differing opinions. I was told from a fellow member that there definately is a synergy, using all same cables, but, when you get to this type of level of cable.....EX: like in one of the threads I was reading, all K/S with a Dominus to source for "more accurate soundstage". Man, I wish I could hear them first. I have a contact who has Tons of K/S, and is committed to "more tonal accuracy" using the much more expensive top of Jena Labs. He is just geographically out of the country, and I cannot ask him to ship on a trial basis"customs, and all" I know his cable are less than a year old, and can put a great package together.

Personnally, I like what I read about both Purist, and
K/S. I just wish I could hear them, before I buy them.
I have experience only with a Dominus PC on my conditioner. I was using an Epiphany X, which retails for HAHA $5200, and putting the much less expensive ugh, Purist was a wonderful improvement, in my system. Oh well, I gonna keep saving up for this side investment, my wife would kill me if she knew I was gonna spend this type of $$$$ on wire...I guess I will keep it to myself.

Barrelcheif, thanks for your input on the synergy just keeping within the same manufacturer. I am presently selling off a bunch of stuff not being used, and I am gonna bite the bullit on either Dominus, or Kubala. I would love to hear more from the Purist owner too.

Thanks

Steve
WOW, great responses, thanks guys, it seems there is a general consensus that I do not have to stick with just 1 cable company. I really want Dominus, but, wow, it's twice the money of the Kubala. I am a bit more confused as a result of this mixing and matching, but alas, it does seem to make sense. If I stay with high end, compatable cables to tune my system, and in the fact that John states the Emotions work well with the Dominus, I guess I gotta just bite the bullit, and have some fun.

John, I do have dedicated lines, and have been thru more than 20 power conditioners. When I finally received my Sound Applications, I asked my wife(who HATES my obsession)if she heard any difference in my system, all she said was"now, it sounds like live music"I knew my power conditioner was the "right"one for me, at that point. I absolutely agree that clean power makes a HUGE difference.

I do have a question on the Dominus Fluid vs. Ferox, John, or anybody, could you explain the differences? The Ferox is a bit more expensive, but what are the sonic benefits and differences?

I really think the most difficult part of changing eq., yes, cables of these magnitudes are eq. is that it is so hard to really remember the sound, and which sounds better.

I was on a massive search, when getting into this crazy obsession to find the best digital to my ears, I would be able to A/B much easier using 2 of the same discs, and a pre-amp. Than I realized this was not even thourogh enough, cause, my APL has a built in Volume control, as did, my AA Capitole II, et. Cables are much more of a hassel to compare, but, hey, someones gotta do it.
Omconstruction, I have not tried the Kimber.

Howie, which Jena Labs do you have now, and have you ever heard the Purist, or Kubala in your system?

Sirspeedy, damn straight on John's post, I really appreciated it, and learned from his experience.

Rgs92, I was just wondering if the cost was the same, would you still have bought the Kubalas?

Thanks folks

Steve
Gary,

I WAS going too, but, the time I spent with them, My system was not working properly. My new Epiphany's were damaged in shipping, and I was not really able to have the time to evaluate properly. Robert is a great guy, but, he quoted me 6k plus to redo my system. I remember them being very linear, accurate, but 2 dimensional, not 3. I felt if I bought them inexpensive enough, I would try them. Since then, I discovered the Purist, and Kubala. Just a different league, and really not much difference in cost, but, a GIANT difference in sonics, and resale, IMHO.
Alan, Thanks, I will call you, cause I will not have the patience to burn these new cables in. Especially seeling the aqueous thread, wow, 300 plus hours, fuggetaboutit. When I spend that type of $$$, I want INSTANT gratification.
Robert, I apologize for the above post, I did not intend to even answer the question on this thread, or any other. I thought about it, when I started writing a response, and intended to just delete it. My damn finger hit Submit, instead of preview, and wham, it was to late. Unfortunately there is no edit function on audiogon.

Robert, you have always been a REAL GENTLEMAN to deal with, and I agree, your cables were not given a real opportunity in MY system. Just one thing I would like to clear up here. I have NO agenda here. I did in Fact Talk to you on a Thursday, when we decided I would ship the Cables out to the next person, the following week. Greg Straley came over on Sunday(for the second time)Helpingme get my speakers working properly. I did in fact have about 12 hours of hearing the Poiema !!!'s. They are VERY good cables, and should be auditioned properly. I apologize for this misunderstanding, and hope that audiogon would delete my post above.
I have ordered my Purist, and am still working on the Kubala's. I will post results after receiving. I have also bought a new amp, Lamm ML2, so my system is changing, for the better, I hope.
sirspeedy, I have not updated my profile in a long time, thus, it not entirely accurate. I have actaully had 2 different pairs of the 211's in my system. Low volume low level detail was amazing, but, for some reason, I was never able to rock out with those amps, without the treble bothering me. I communicated with Dennis Had at Cary, and we could not figure it out. Maybe a lack of system synergy. I have been really enjoying a pair of Dodd 120's modded, using 8 metal base mullards, SS rectified, and 2 tungsol 5687's with a pinch waist amperex E182CC in the middle position of the driver tubes. These amps so far, have eaten the compatition, in my system. Go figure.

I am looking forward to the Lamms, though.
Alright, here I go.............I am selling all my cables"interconencts, speaker wire"cause I have found MY FAVORITE in nanotec cables. Golden Strata 79 interconnects, and 201 speaker wire from Steve at SOS=sounds of silence audio. WOW, I can not believe the sound I am hearing from my system. Immediate sound, unburnt was better than my Dominus IC. after 72 hours, man oh man, I am a smilin guy now.

My system sounds like I have only been dreaming about, extended, with no glare, tight bass/mid bass,midrange to die for, halls, sound like halls, abience beyond belief. Vocals to die for, holographic as all get out. Just the ULTIMATE in musicality for me. I can use all the audiophile terms, but, they really do not do justice. I am finally, thank-god, not analyzing my music, but, I am listening, tapping my toes, and at the same time, saving BIG $$$$$, which also outs a great big smilin smile on my face. I am in awe. Nuff said.

BTW, all my PC's are still Dominus.(so far)
HERE YA GO

Asking $895.00
New Retail $895.00
Condition NEW
Days/Views 31 / 399
Ship cost Plus shipping
Ship from 1 lbs from 03062
Ship to US and Canada
Included Box, Manual

About Seller Sksos (135)
(send email) (view feedback) (other items)

Pay Terms Money Order, Personal Check

Pictures

Strada IC
Strada #201 info

Description
From the makers of the Nespa Pro, Intron #8500 Fluid and the Golden Strada #79 speaker cable comes Nanotecs new Dual Core Shielded Interconnect cable.

This cable has the same nano-technology applied to it as their Golden Strada speaker cable. Nano sized Gold Micro particles are dispersed in a Pureified Natural Oil, which is soaked on the surface of OFC. A new level of 3D presentation is now heard with this interconnect.

Current lengths are 1m and 1.8m.
Retail price is $895 per 1m and $1195 for the 1.8m pair.

Call for more details 603-888-5104
The nanotec wire has taken my system to heights I have never heard, the soundstage is REAL, the sound is MUSIC, I can close my eyes and tell you where each instrument and vocals are positioned, the bass/mid bass/midrange/and treble are the best I have ever heard. My Epiphany's have NEVER sounded better, and the only change is the interconnects, and speaker wire.

Best of luck in your journey

Steve
Wow, I leave for a couple days, to further upgrade my system, and enjoy some tunes and I see a bit of crazyness.
I have been busy, picking up a SRA Craz rack, and Mactone MA300 amp, along with working on my HT. I still feel these are the most musical cables I have had in my system. According to Steve, at SOS, he said they are definately directional, as far as the interconnects go, the interconnects are different wire, than the speaker. They look REDICULOUS, as compared with all the beautiful cables I have used, but, in my system, to my ears, I am just listening to the tunes, instead of picking out parts of the music. I am trying to get off the buy, try, evaluate, sell, or keep train, and hope these cables continue to please me. I am not trying to steer anybody in a particular direction, only reporting MY journey. I hav ordered bulk wire to make my own cables, I have never done this before, but, I find myself exploring deeper into why this technology sounds so damn musical.

Anyway...

Good luck in t=your journey
Jafox, please tell me more about the PC, I really need 1 fabulous cord for my new source, the APL NWO 2.5 which I will hopefully have soon.